What is your favorite wick to use?

What is your favorite wick to use on voltives? :wink2:

I'm putting an order into PEAK to make 80 voltives for my boss's wedding. I've made a few of these, but I think I used the wrong wicks (44-24-18Z), and the candle burned rather quickly within 3-5 hours (using IGI 4794 and IGI 1274). And thats been my experience so far, so I thought I'd try using the 36-24-24Z or LX8.

My boss wants them to last longer and not burn all the way to the edges. Am I right in my thinking here?

Do you think one of these wicks would work? What has been your experience? Or do you have a better luck with using another wick? I will be using either the IGI 4794 or IGI 1274 depending on what the boss likes per the samples I plan to give her.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! :grin2:

Votives (no L) should burn longer, usually about 12 hrs, depending on size. It does seem odd that your boss does NOT want them to burn to the edges. It will give it less wax to consume, therefore shortening burn time :confused:

Added: I've not used zincs that often in votives, but the ones I have and many I've gotten in swaps that did use zincs were usually the 36z or 44z and usually burned anywhere from 10 to 16 hrs...

I concur with satin on the burn times. I make 4794 votives from time to time and get much more out of them than that.

I'm deferring to Breanna on the zinc cores because I never use them, but if you want to also test LX, then LX-10 or LX-12 should do it with that wax. You might get away with LX-8 on a very lightly scented and colored candle.

They really should NOT leave wax on sides of the glass.

One of the biggest things affecting burn times of votives is proper glassware....a snug fitting votive cup will allow the wax to melt all the way to the sides and then "act" as a small container candle.....for my votives i use 6228 and 36z wicks and they last about 12-16 hours depending on burning habits

I make 2 and 3 oz votives and I use the 36z's. The 44-24 are just way too big. They burn so quickly and you need to trim all the time. I had tried the LX wicks for votives and disliked them. They didn't burn evenly enough for me.

The 36's will give you a full mp, but not as quickly as 44's.

Also in the flower pot votives I do use the 44's, but I am switching waxes to mostly soy for containers and testing CD wicks. I can't stand any soot. :tongue2: