Burning Black?

OK...I've been making candles for a couple of years. After quite a bit of testing, I was happy with the wicking of the 16 oz. Apothecary jar. I used 2 51z. Never had a problem. All of a sudden, today I get a phone call from my SIL saying I should go back to my old wicks. These are giving off too much smoke. She said one of her friends that had a party had no problem with the candles that she got from one party, but the candles that she got from the party she hosted got her shade black. Same with her sister.

Now, I always used the same wicks. I didn't change them. Could the wicks change from batch to batch, and from company to company?

I'm trying to figure this out here. I'm about to start retesting all my candles.

I use zincs as well. I just compared my zincs from ICS, BCN and KY earlier this evening. I can see a signifigant difference in the ICS ones compared to the BCN & KY. The latter are much thicker to my eye. Maybe some of these companies prime their own wicks and that's what's making the difference? Maybe the ones with more wax are burning hotter. :confused:

I bought some 36z wicks for my votives from a supplier I usually don't buy from. Well, those wicks caused my votives to go up like a blowtorch, even though my regular 36z from BC burned perfectly in the same batch of votives. So I definitely believe there is a difference between companies.