I need some help with making my own lotion

daniedb

I tried it a number of times a few years ago when I was just starting out, and I just flat out sucked at it. I never could get it down...so I threw up my hands and bought a base. I'm ready to try again, now that I have my confidence back, and I found what seems like a very basic recipe:

Mint Body Lotion

1/2-cup mint water (see note below)

1/8 tsp. borax

1/2 c. sunflower oil

1 tsp. coconut oil

1 tsp. beeswax

3-4 drops peppermint oil (optional)

Mix together the mint water and the borax, stirring until well mixed. Set aside.

Mix together the sunflower oil, coconut oil, and beeswax in a glass measuring cup. Place the cup with the oils--beeswax mixture in a pan of water (about 1 to 2 inches of water), making a water bath. Heat over medium heat until the beeswax is melted (8 to 10 minutes), stirring occasionally.

When the wax is melted, bring the mint solution almost to boiling (put the glass cup with the mint water/borax in the microwave on High for 1 minute, or use a water bath on the stove top).

Remove the oils-beeswax mixture from the water bath. Slowly add mint water/borax to the mixture in the blender and whip. Allow the lotion to cool completely. The consistency may seem a bit thin, but it will thicken as it cools. The lotion will be pale green in color. You may add the peppermint oil now if you wish. Pour the lotion into a clean container with a lid. To use, massage a small amount into your skin.

My questions:

1. Can I omit the borax just to test it for myself, or is an essential ingredient for the recipe to work?

2. Any reason why I can't sub soy wax flakes (cosmetic grade) for the beeswax?

3. What is your best estimation about what consistency this lotion will be?

4. Is it possible to use this recipe, assuming I can make it work, for a thicker creme by increasing the wax, or changing oils, or subbing butter for the oil? I'd love to have a very basic recipe that I can do variations of, without having to buy stearic, e-wax, etc.

Thank you soooo much in advance - I'm just nervous after my previous diasters.

The borax and beeswax is the emulsifier in this formula, so I wouldn't change it. Hmm, can't really tell if it's an oil-in-water (a usual lotion is) or a water-in-oil, cuz the measurments are in volume, not weight, and there's 1/2 cup of each. A borax/beeswax emulsion is usually only stable in water in oil emulsions - they eventually separate out.

I really suggest if you want to make lotions, buy ewax. It's a foolproof emulsion system - it's enough worrying about preservation, let alone whether your emulsion is going to fall apart or not.

The oils look nice in this, bet it would feel nice.

Does one determine oil-in-water vs. water-in-oil by which is the greater weight? I.e., if the water portion is heavier, then it's an oil-in-water emulsificationmationithingie?

I think I will just cave and buy the e-wax fairly soon. It's just that since it's the slower season, I'm out of "fun" money to try new creations with, and my CFO (also known around here as my husband) has put a temporary nix on trying new products that require new ingredients. So, I'm stuck with what I have my arsenal.

Borax I can certainly justify - that's cheap and I use it in the laundry.

So, I'll be moving in the e-wax direction, you're right, and thank you for your help!