Can someone help me out here......

HI, I AM A NEWBIE. I AM WONDERING WHICH WAX TO USE, IF I WANT TO MAKE JAR SCENTED CANDLES WITH NO WICK. ALSO USING A CANDLE WARMER. WHERE IS THE BEST SITE TO ORDER WAXES, NOT SO EXPENSIVE? I LOVE TARTS BUT I WANTED TO MAKE SOMETHING THAT IS IN A JAR.

ALSO I WANTED TO FIND OUT WHERE I CAN GET SOME SUPPLIES SUCH AS THE HEAT GUN, THE MOLDS, WAXES, DYES, AND SOAP MOLD LOAF NOT SO EXPENSIVE? I AM KEEPING MY EYES OPEN FOR THE CLASSIFIED ADS HERE ON THE MESSAGE BOARDS. I APPRECIATE READING ALL THE POST MESSAGES, AND EACH OF YOU HAVE BEEN VERY HELPFUL. IT MADE ME FEEL AT EASE TO BE HERE. I LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU ALL.:cheesy2:

I use J50 for my containers. I never have made wickless ones but the cold and hot throw from the J50 is great. There are oodles of supplies out there.

as for the heatgun you can buy them at walmart, anywhere from 20 bucks and up, depends on how many heat settings etc.

I order my FO, molds, from Peaks. but like I said there are several that you can order from. I use Aztec for my colors since I like the liquid form instead of chips. HTH Maybe someone else can chime in here and give you more help.

welcome to the addictive world of chandlers. :wink2:

HI, I AM A NEWBIE. I AM WONDERING WHICH WAX TO USE, IF I WANT TO MAKE JAR SCENTED CANDLES WITH NO WICK. ALSO USING A CANDLE WARMER. WHERE IS THE BEST SITE TO ORDER WAXES, NOT SO EXPENSIVE? I LOVE TARTS BUT I WANTED TO MAKE SOMETHING THAT IS IN A JAR.

ALSO I WANTED TO FIND OUT WHERE I CAN GET SOME SUPPLIES SUCH AS THE HEAT GUN, THE MOLDS, WAXES, DYES, AND SOAP MOLD LOAF NOT SO EXPENSIVE? I AM KEEPING MY EYES OPEN FOR THE CLASSIFIED ADS HERE ON THE MESSAGE BOARDS. I APPRECIATE READING ALL THE POST MESSAGES, AND EACH OF YOU HAVE BEEN VERY HELPFUL. IT MADE ME FEEL AT EASE TO BE HERE. I LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU ALL.:cheesy2:

Oh my..there are so many choices in wax..the best advice I can give you is to read everything you can get your hands on (or can click on in the case of reading online) about container waxes, and try to make an informed decision based on what you have read, and what you want to do. I use J50 and J223 container waxes mostly. But when I first started, I used what I could get from the Craft store..which was Yaleys Glass/Container wax..and there really wasn't a thing wrong with that, other than it was pricey!! But as I got more into the craft, I found different characteristics that I wanted my candles to have, and learned that by changing waxes, I could bring those things to my candles. So, you see, it's all a matter of preference, and since everyone is different, it's really really hard for me to tell you what wax to use.

This is probably the first reason why this "hobby" is not recommended for someone who is trying to save money by making their own candles! Getting to that "candle nirvana" is sometimes quite the pricey ride! You may get lucky with your first choice in wax, and you may, like myself, find that there are other properties you want in your candles, and find that you need to say "Next!!"

You may want to check out Astorlite Wax, and IGI Wax www.astorlite.com and www.igiwax.com to help you sort out the different types of waxes and what their properties are. There are soy wax links out there as well, but I am not familiar with these.

I bought my heatgun at an auction (got lucky and got it cheap) but you can get one at Walmart for about 20 bucks if I remember correctly. Molds..well, you can buy those in a bazillion places too..not the least of which are the classified section and ebay. Just about every candle supply house out there will carry them..along with dyes, pigments, Fragrances and much more. Again, your best prices are probably going to be relative to where you live (for shipping purposes) this has become a huge factor in pricing as I'm sure you can imagine.

Happy reading! I hope you will find better answers to your questions in the links I provided, and remember there are tons more links out there for other companies too, go to www.google.com and type in candle wax, and you're sure to get hundreds of places to start! Maybe someone else will chime in here and let you know what they do. But I am fairly sure, until you know exactly what you want in a candle for yourself, you won't be able to just take our word for it ;)

I use IGI-4786 Container Wax in my wickless container candles - which I get can get locally. It has a great throw both hot & cold. I am also selling the wickless as car scent, instucting my customers to be very careful because the wax will melt in a hot parked car.

Dear RCXMAS,

The basic answer is that you can use any wax that is listed as a wax for container candles. If you want to buy the cheapest one, that's fine. Some may melt a little faster and some a little slower. Some will release fragrance a little faster or a little slower. But they will all work and you might find it interesting to eventually come to your own conclusions about which you prefer to use.

In terms of getting supplies at the best price, your best bet is to find a mail order supplier that is as close to you as possible. Also look for one from which you can order everything you initially need all at once, to minimize shipping costs. You can order from someone a little farther away if they can send everything in one fell swoop. I wouldn't take the classifieds approach because it will be too much work to find everything you need and you'll end up paying for shipping multiple times.

I would suggest buying a heat gun locally at a hardware or home improvement store. For the candle supplies, you could consider http://www.candlewic.com since they are fairly close to you and have some relatively inexpensive waxes. Even closer to you is http://www.onestopcandle.com, which should also have everything you need except the heat gun. http://www.candlesupply.com is a little farther away but they have the heat gun too.

Hope that helps.

Guest Buddy 4 Sweet68cam
Just a pet peeve of mine - please take off the cap lock. You don't need to shout at us. Lots of folks are more than willing to help you.

Give me a break..........I doubt she was SHOUTING! :mad: You are ridiculous to write that. What a great way to offend a newbie...................

Give me a break..........I doubt she was SHOUTING! :mad: You are ridiculous to write that. What a great way to offend a newbie...................

Actually - that is just proper "netiquette"

It is a common practice to not post in all caps on bulletin boards, etc. and many boards have it posted to not do so as it is considered "shouting" on the net - so I personally do not think it was "ridiculous" at all - She was not rude when she posted, just simply informed someone who was new to the board of something that as she said is a pet peeve of hers.

Just a pet peeve of mine - please take off the cap lock. You don't need to shout at us. Lots of folks are more than willing to help you.

Hey, sorry bout the caps. lol Its just a habit of leaving it on and just typing away. lol I appreciate everyone's input here for me. Thanks.

Forgot to welcome you to the CT family. Don't forget to go to the archives. Lots of good info there. See Jump Forum the bottom right of this page and select Access Archives. Once there you will be able to access Basic Instructions and General Info located in the left margin. You will find info there you will probably want to print out on basic equipment and how it is used. Good Luck