ounces?

Hi!

A question from a newbie. I was making some test on jar candles and used a pint jar wich shoukd be 16 ounces but noticed that with 10 ounces of wax (before melting the wax) it filled the jar so what should I call it a 16 ounce candle or 10? Sorry but I'm a newbie.

I believe that when one refers to the capacity of a container it is in terms of LIQUID weight. Once the wax solidfies in the container, it becomes a solid. Since there is a difference in density between water & wax, you will of course notice that, for example, an 8 oz container will hold about 6 oz of wax.

There's been a bit of discussion about this very topic. If I were selling my candles, I would probably go by weight of wax. An easy way of figuring this is to weigh your container when it is empty. Weigh it again once the wax is solid. Subtract the solid weight from the empty weight to get the actual weight of the wax.

Make sure to weigh it after you make the candle. You mention that you put the wax in there before melting it, but I think you'll be able to fit more wax than that if the jar is actually 16 oz. If you need to plan how much wax to melt you could make use of this page:

http://www.candletech.com/calculator/container.php

topofmurrayhillMake sure to weigh it after you make the candle. You mention that you put the wax in there before melting it, but I think you'll be able to fit more wax than that if the jar is actually 16 oz. If you need to plan how much wax to melt you could make use of this page:

Yep, it should definitely hold a bit more than 10oz. if it's really a 16oz. jar. My 6oz. tins, actually hold 5 oz. and my 12 oz. roly poly jars, actually hold 11 ounces, although I only fill them with 10, so as not to go to the very top. ;)

Just remember 1 pound of solid wax, actually makes 20 ounces of liquid wax.