Dog soap

tx twister

:rolleyes2 Hi, I seem to recall, many moons ago before the big computer crash, someone had some recipes for soaps formulated for dogs. If you have these recipes, I would VERY MUCH appreciate them. Would like to make some for my boxer & my neighbors dog. Thanks so much.

I have been doing some checking on this as well. I haven't found any. The majority opinion seems to be that the PH of human soap is too high for dogs and is very hard on their skin. I would love to find a recipe that is nourishing to a dog :undecided

I got this this off another website and tweeked it a little (some of the EOs) but it has been a very good seller and a lot of repeat buyers

Caster Oil 3.5 oz

Coconut Oil 18 oz

vegetable shortening 6.5 oz

olive oil 13.5 oz

Palm Oil 14.5 oz

8 oz lye

21 oz water

I added some jojoba at trace, this is optional

You can add the EO you like, I used sweet orange, lavender, eucalyptus, tea tree and peppermint, Citronella is a very good one for bug repelling.

Michelle

I don't know where I got these but here are some more I had saved:

Solid Doggie shampoo bar

4 oz Melt & Pour Glycerin Soap Base (clear or white) AN00185_.gif

1 tablespoon castor oil

1/8 teaspoon vitamin E oil

1/4 teaspoon liquid glycerin

10 drops peppermint essential oil

10 drops tea tree essential oil

Melt the glycerin in the microwave, until just melted, not boiled. Add the remaining ingredients and pour into your favorite square mold

===============================================================================

If you wash your dog(s) half as often as we do, then you still spend a fortune on dog shampoo. I found this recipe on a couple of different websites... I just tried it out on our dogs and it worked great (of course that's just my opinion, you'd have to ask the dogs for the definitive answer).

1 pint ivory liquid dish soap or dove liquid dish soap 1 pint water 1 pint apple cider vinegar 4 ounces glycerine (available at your local pharmacy)

4-10 Washes

Change size or US/metric

10 minutes 10 mins prep</B>

===================================================================

Aloe Vera Pet ShampooMore Pets Solutions

onepix_transp.gifby Annie Berthold-Bond, Care2.com Producer, Green Living Channels

About as pure a shampoo as you can get, this recipe is detergent-free; in addition, the healing properties of aloe vera gel helps to sooth skin irritations.

Simple Solution:

printer friendly version

• 2 cups water
  • 2 teaspoons liquid castile soap
  • 2 tablespoons aloe vera gel
  • Up to 1 teaspoon vegetable glycerin or vegetable oil

Combine all ingredients in a jar. Shake to blend. Get the pet’s coat wet, pour on the shampoo a few tablespoons at a time, lathering as you go. Work the shampoo in with your hands. Rinse thoroughly. Unless you want the pet to shake themselves dry (and get everything in the vicinity wet at the same time!), towel them dry.

Helpful Hints:

• Some pet experts recommend rubbing petroleum jelly around the eyes to keep the soap out. Try a petroleum-free equivalent.
  • A final vinegar rinse can help the coat shine, and return the acid mantle to the skin. Combine 1/4 cup of organic apple cider vinegar with 3 cups of warm water, and rinse over the pet’s coat; be sure to avoid the eyes.

==================================================================================

<H2>Funky Dog Soap with Neem and Rosemary</H2>Submitted by: Monica Myers

http://wholeskin.com<H3>Ingredients:</H3>

• <LI class=ingredients>7 oz water <LI class=ingredients>3.3 oz full fat buttermilk <LI class=ingredients>4.2 oz lye <LI class=ingredients>5 oz coconut oil <LI class=ingredients>8 oz palm oil <LI class=ingredients>8 oz olive oil <LI class=ingredients>8 oz soybean oil <LI class=ingredients>2 oz neem oil <LI class=ingredients>1 oz emu <LI class=ingredients>2 Tbsp neem powder <LI class=ingredients>2 Tbsp powdered rosemary
  • .5 oz rosemary essential oil

<H3>Directions</H3>Makes 2 pounds. My dogs inspired this, and not because they can dance. It removes 'eau de doggy' and is great for doggy dermatitis. I imagine it would be a decent flea repellant as well. Fine for humans too. Combine water and lye, cool a bit, then add buttermilk. Set aside 1 oz of neem and emu oils. Melt solid oils in microwave, add to crock pot along with liquid oils. Add lye water/milk and proceed as usual. Just before pour, combine neem and rosemary powders, neem and emu oils and rosemary oil, then add to soap. Mix and pour.

<H2>Doggie Shampoo Bar</H2>Submitted by: RJ

http://www.herbalsoapsbyrj.com<H3>Ingredients:</H3>

• <LI class=ingredients>8oz coconut oil <LI class=ingredients>6oz olive oil <LI class=ingredients>1.5oz castor oil <LI class=ingredients>3.54oz lye <LI class=ingredients>.25oz jojoba oil <LI class=ingredients>.5oz aloe vera gel <LI class=ingredients>.25ox eucalyptus eo <LI class=ingredients>.125oz peppermint eo <LI class=ingredients>.125oz citronella eo <LI class=ingredients>.25oz T-50 Tocopherol <LI class=ingredients>6.5oz palm oil <LI class=ingredients>3oz canola oil <LI class=ingredients>8.5oz water <LI class=ingredients>.25oz neem oil <LI class=ingredients>.25oz lavender 40/42 eo <LI class=ingredients>.125oz lemongrass eo <LI class=ingredients>.125oz tea tree oil
  • .125oz cedarwood eo

<H3>Directions</H3>I make this in my 6qt crockpot. Add lye to water & set safely aside. Heat coconut, palm, olive, canola & castor oils till completely melted. Add lye water & stir till light trace. Put the lid on the crockpot. I stir every ten minutes till vaseline stage, keeping an eye out for volcanos in between. After the cook, dump the soap in a ss bowl. Stir every 5 minutes to assist in a quick cool down. Make sure to keep the sides of the bowl scraped clean. When my soap has cooled down to approximately 160 degrees (I never check!), add the remaining ingredients, stirring very well. Glop the soap into your log mold & press the air bubbles out for a uniform soap.

<H2>Doggie De'Pugh</H2>Submitted by: Dan Lee

http://www.BathSoapworks.com<H3>Ingredients:</H3>

• <LI class=ingredients>10 oz Aloe Juice/Distilled Water 50/50 Blend <LI class=ingredients>0.15 oz Hydrolyzed SWO Protein <LI class=ingredients>2 oz Polysorbate 20 <LI class=ingredients>0.5 oz Silk Amino Acids <LI class=ingredients>2 oz Witch Hazel Distillate <LI class=ingredients>1 oz Jojoba Oil <LI class=ingredients>0.1 oz Neem Oil (Optional) <LI class=ingredients>0.1 oz Lavender EO <LI class=ingredients>0.1 oz Rosemary EO
  • 0.5 oz Citronella EO

<H3>Directions</H3>Part A Polysorbate 20 Jojoba Oil Neem Oil (Optional) Lavender EO Rosemary EO Citronella EO Part B Aloe Distilled Water Mixture Witch Hazel Hydrolyzed SWO Protein Silk Amino Acids Directions: Combine Part A mix well Combine Part B and mix well Slowly pour Part B into Part A stirring constantly. add A preservative if not using within 2 months or if you plan to sell. This spray is great for Between Baths to help keep your pooch smelling pretty. :-) The Neem Oil is optional but does help dogs with Hot Spots or irritated skin. I worked with 2 veterinarians to develop this spray. I have been using it on my 4 dogs for the last year and it really helps with Rennie's (GS) hot spots, and also has helped to prevent flea infestation. Avoid the ears and eyes (Face in general) when spraying this.