Ok6228

Hi everyone!!

Ok...from what I understand, this wax is pretty popular. Can someone tell me the pros/cons of this wax? I just finished a slab of IGI1274 and I would like to try a new wax. Anyone else wants to tell me their fav wax, throw in your 2 cents :)

Thanks Much All,

Candlelovr

I like this wax in votives and pillars . It has a smooth finish and good throw.

I use it in tarts and clamshells also w/ J223

Same here. I like that I can make tarts, votives and pillars using the same wax. It also makes a nice shiny pillar/votive with great throw.

OK6228 is a blended wax...meaning it already contains additives. It produces a smooth finish...can't really do rustics with them...well, you can, but they don't look like the ones you get with the straight paraffins. It looks more like wrinkles...at least that's the best way that I can describe it. In addition, it won't give you any of the white frost that people seem to be quite fond of, nor will it mottle. It also shrinks...ALOT. You'll get a huge cavern once your pillar has set up in the mold, so you will need to do several repours. However, the scent throw is the strongest I have experienced from any pillar wax I have used. It's also great for making tarts with, which I do, blended with J223 to enhance the scent throw even more, plus it makes it softer so that it melts quicker. It's a great wax and I can't stand to be without it. I start getting nervous when it gets low...like it is right now...and I've got no money left in my budget to buy more. Oh Lordy...what will I do when I run out. :(

Long time user of OK6228 here. This is my opinion (and only mine of course!)

Cons:

-Expensive - twice as much per case as my mottling wax.

-

Not as Easy to Locate - seems many suppliers aren't carrying it because of the price increase. I'm now looking at $33 (cheapest I could find) in shipping to get 1 case shipped.

- Shrinks like crazy. I usually only do 1 repour, but I've occasionally gone back to unmold them and find another crater so I've had to do a second repour.

-You can't do rustics or mottles with it. The best you'll get is the ugliest excuse for a rustic you've ever seen :)

-Can seem rather boring compared to straight waxes or mottling waxes. Actually though, you can make multi-colored pillars with it, but you have to heat the mold very hot between each pour or you get ugly lines.

-One last con - is a little difficult to wick (to me). I can easily wick my mottled and rustic candles, but the OK6228 sometimes seems to change on a weekly basis. One week I can make 100 pillars and they work beautifully. The next week those same wicks will drown out or cause large flames.

Pros:

- Best scent throw, hands down, of any pillar wax. Even beats out some container waxes.

-Makes beautiful, shiny, smooth pillars.

-Is not picky about scents. It'll throw any and all scents that you put into it (unlike some natural or soy waxes)

-Colors beautifully. I can use just a tad of color block to get a deep color.

-Works great for bakery candles. You can whip this wax and it comes out gorgeous. Makes great cakes, cinnamon buns, etc.

- Because it shrinks so much, they are very easy to get out of the molds. No refrigerator needed. I usually just turn my molds upside down and put one hand underneath to catch it as it slides out.

-Never had a problem with FO separation unless I just overloaded the wax. Throw in about 1/4 teaspoon of vybar 103 per lb of wax and you can load them with 1-1/2 ounces of FO per lb with no separation. I have a couple of bakery scents that just get better and better the more FO I use, so I love doing this.

So - my conclusion was to carry 2 waxes - the OK6228, and Candlewic's 4045H mottling wax. That way I can make mottled and rustic pillars one day, and beautiful shiny smooth pillars (or bakery candles) the next.

DanaE

I apologize beforehand if this is a stupid question, but as a newbie I sit at the computer with a clipboard and make notes of everything I read on this forum in order to make my candles better.....

What type of wax is OK6228? Who makes it? Where can one purchase it?

What type of wax is OK6228? Who makes it? Where can one purchase it?

Ok6228 is a pillar/votive wax, not sure of the manufacturer of it, but if you google it, you should be able to come up with a few suppliers. ;)

I buy mine through Issaquah Candle Supplies out of Washington.

This wax throws like CRAZY!! The cold throw alone will drive you out of a room, I'm serious!!

I use this to make votive and tarts (tarts I use 50 percent with 50 percent of my container wax. ;) ), and they are kickin' butt I tell ya!! :D

Because it IS a pillar wax, it has a higher melt point and doesn't melt in my tart burners unless I cut it with my container wax.

I don't make pillars though so can't speak to that at all. ;)

You can get OK6228 at Tristate Candles (West Virginia) for 52.25 per case...this is the cheapest place, but don't know the cost on shipping from there to where ever you are...and at Whole Sale Supplies Plus (Ohio) for 55.83. I believe Lone Star Candle Supply (Texas) carries it as well but don't know off hand what the price is.

You can get OK6228 at Tristate Candles (West Virginia) for 52.25 per case...this is the cheapest place, but don't know the cost on shipping from there to where ever you are...and at Whole Sale Supplies Plus (Ohio) for 55.83. I believe Lone Star Candle Supply (Texas) carries it as well but don't know off hand what the price is.

Thanks Fern. I just ordered 2 cases from Tri-State. They are only a couple of states away so I'm hoping the shipping won't be high. The other sites I was able to find it on wanted anywhere from $33 to $42 in shipping for 1 case (that's the same price I pay Candlewic to ship 4 cases to me). I did try ordering a bunch of wax from WSP once to get the discount, but the discount wasn't high enough to do anything. Unfortunately, Tristate doesn't tell you the shipping charge, but I needed the wax anyway so once I find out the shipping I'll know if it's a better deal to get it there versus WSP or Lone Star or Nature's Garden...

And I'm getting mad with myself because I've ordered from 5 suppliers in the last 3 days and have YET to remember to get more mold sealer! I'm out so I have about 8 pillar molds I can't use at the moment. *shaking head*. Looks like I might just have to place an order somewhere just for the mold sealer...

DanaE

I'm out so I have about 8 pillar molds I can't use at the moment.
Don't you just hate forgetting stuff like that? But I think you can get by! Wander over to the hardware store and buy some metal tape (they call it repair tape) and just stick it over the wick hole. Normally it's good to put some mold sealer underneath but it'll work without it. Just rub the tape with your fingernail to make sure it's stuck down nice and flat.

I don't think I can use metal tape on the molds I use. I use wick pins. So I push the pin in from the outside of the bottom of the mold. I have a few molds that I seal the bottom completely on and use wick holder bars to keep the wicks straight, but for these particular molds I have to use some type of removeable sealant. I still have about 19 pillar molds I can use, but I was trying to make a couple of bigger batches of candles yesterday and was frustrated that 8 molds were out of commission! Maybe I'll go to Micheals and see what I can find...

DanaE

Glad to know one of those places I suggested worked out for you.

Regarding your mold sealer...you can get plummers putty to seal your wick pins at Wally World or any hardware store. I use plummers putty myself and it works just great...and it's cheap.

Glad to know one of those places I suggested worked out for you.

Regarding your mold sealer...you can get plummers putty to seal your wick pins at Wally World or any hardware store. I use plummers putty myself and it works just great...and it's cheap.

Thanks for recommending them. I didn't know about Tri States. The shipping was about $33 for both cases, which is the same as most sites wanted to charge me for 1 case, so I'm not complaining :)

I don't have a Wally World close by, but the next time I go to the hardware store I'm going to stock up on the plummer's putty. I hate running out and having to wait days and days before I can use the molds!

DanaE