IGI discontinuing Astrolite waxes?

Was reading elsewhere and read a thread saying that the poster had talked with someone at IGI about something and were told by the IGI representative that IGI was going to be discontinuing most of the Astorlite waxes over the coming year, including the J blends - J-50, J-223 and J-300

Had not seen this mentioned here so thought I would pass it on - May just be a rumor, but does kind of tie in with the fact that several suppliiers I have seen are coming out with their own blends -

If nothing else, this post should raise some blood pressures!

That sucks. I've just started to get a handle on wicking J223. And it took me 6 months to get up the nerve to try wicking that. Next they'll drop OK 6228 my votive wax. Think I'd just go back to making hurricanes. No wicks required. Wonder how we can confirm the rumor. Sure as heck don't want to waste any more time or money on J223 if it is going to be dropped.

If they do, they won't get anymore of my business. Life without OK6228 wouldn't be worth living *sniff*. Where's my martini?

Seriously, if they bought them out, just to phase out all the waxes, I'd find a supplier close to me that formulated their own blends and use them.

DanaE

This rumor seems a little off since they are introducing J225. I would think that they would not go through the expense of introducing a new wax just to discontinue it. It seems like a lot of ppl prefer the astorlite waxes to the igi. I would be interested in seeing a market analysis of which brand of container wax sells better. I could see them discontinuing their own that compete with the j50.j223. I think that we are going to see the duplicates discontinued but then again my thinking could just be wrong - it would not be the first time.

told by the IGI representative that IGI was going to be discontinuing most of the Astorlite waxes over the coming year, including the J blends - J-50, J-223 and J-300

I think I'll go out on a limb here and say NOT TRUE. They have just introduced a new J blend the J225, just got a sample of it last week. And no I haven’t had a chance to test yet, its killing me but have been super busy at my other job.

If fact if you read the memo I copied and posted in the thread, it states that the J225 is the First in a series of wax blends from their new "Total Scents" product line.

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3209

So yeah I would doubt Astorlite would continue to release and entire new product line, and take the time and money that goes along with testing if they planned on discontinuing it.

I just called one of my suppliers and they talked to them and said none of the popular J,s or IGI will be discontinued and no final answer from IGI will be until next fall. So we have at least a year until we know for sure. So next summer, when it's slow, we may need to look into this again and see where there at on this then maybe test new wax.

Now the palm waxes will most likely be discontinued because they are hard to produce & get raw materials and don't sell well but again this won't be known until next fall.

I see that - but that has a release date of 04/22/2005

The release date of "Honeywell has sold its Industrial Wax operations to IGI" is 06/27/2005 - which is over 2 months later

So if IGI is calling the shots now, which they obviously are, and decided that they would discontinue a line for which they offer a similar product or plan to offer a similar one, I could still see them doing so

Again, I sincerely hope this is just a rumor as I have already stated

If it isn't a rumor there are going to be a LOT of very unhappy chandlers!

I e-mailed my supplier and they said the only Astorlite wax being discontinued is the J300. They said they heard about this rumor this morning and went directly to IGI to get the dirt. I REALLY hope that's how it is and won't change down the line. Just wanted to update you.

An interesting e-mail I just recieved from a major supplier in response to a query I sent them about ordering some slabs for testing and asking about this rumor (And yup, I had already planned to order a couple different ones from them before I read the post on this)

And this supplier still lists their Astorlite waxes for sale by the slab, case and quantites up to pallets

Their reply to me:

"I do not know what time frame they are looking at, but IGI will eventually

drop the Astorlite waxes. It may be months before that happens, but I would not waste time testing them."

I just spoke with Joan at Honeywell and she has no knowledge of this, said it was a rumor that IGI bought the formulations from Honeywell.

So my take is maybe they will use their formulations and change the names, cause why would they release this J225 just to pull it? Makes no sense to me.

I dunno - Makes it even harder on me as a newbie - It is just my luck to go ahead and go with it and get everything tested and down then get the rug pulled out from under me LOL

Guess for now I will play it safe and spend the time playing with the non-Astorlite - Time is the only thing that will tell for sure on this and by the time I screw up enough of the other wax to figure out what I am doing it will be settled one way or the other I am sure