Wick ?

sharyl55

I'm testing a Pina Colada (60% MD Penreco gel & 40% 6228) whipped and poured in a margartita glass with a low smoke 21 zinc wick and have gotten a hugh mushroom on every burn. This wick is similar to a 51z. Using the same wick for a Tequila Sunrise (all MD penreco gel with tiny clear crushed ice gel on top) and no hugh mushroom.

I'm guessing the combo of gel and 6228 is causing the hugh mushroom but don't know if I should wick up, down or change from a zinc wick to something else. Just got some 60z and 62z wicks in today. Have a LX sample pack but from everything I've read on this board a zinc wick is the best option. Any advise would be appreciated.

sharyl,

sorry can't help with the gel and wax blend, but do have a question for you.

are you crimping your wick at the point when the margarita glass narrows? i ask because what ever wick you use to get a correct burn in the large top of the glass will be to big for the small part of the glass.

cheryl

Thanks for the tip Cheryl. No I didn't put on a crimp where the glass narrows. Didn't even think about it. This is my 1st tester in this style glass. I did use a wick with a 9 mm neck and crimped it good. Next tester I'll add a crimp there.