Looking for those familiar with Mia Bella Candles

Hi - I just joined the messageboard. I was referred here by another candlemaker on another board. I was told there is someone here with info about Mia Bella Candles (International Candle Company). There is a local distributor here and she's spreading it around that my candles are toxic and stealing accounts from me. She supposedly tested one of my candles and discovered it is toxic (I use J223, a paraffin blend) and fragrance oils. It seems by their website that they do mention that their candles are "toxic-free", which means other candles are??

Any help would be appreciated.

VickiB in CA

Haven't found that out yet. Sun up tomorrow I'm going to track her down and ask her what's up. I'm also calling our attorney. I just want to have as much info as I can to give him. If Mia Bella promotes this type of slander to sell their product, then they will be in trouble right along with their distributor. It's just frustrating because the Christmas season is nearly here, I'm re-opening my shop this weekend, and I hear these rumors going around about my candles :( (through my largest fundraising acct, or former fundraising acct).

People will believe whatever you tell them, unfortunately. And what took months of relationship building and hard work was torn down by one woman's mouth.

VickiB in CA

There was a long thread on Mia Belle and their rather, um, unique business practices on the original CT board. If you can find it, it might be worth reading. (It was under the Natural Wax section I believe).

Not only would I call an attorney tomorrow, I'd go back up to the school, show them your some specs on your candle manufacturer, show them your wicks, whatever, and let them know that Mia Belle sells their candles only by fear tactics. Cutting down one candle maker to make yourself look better is a nasty habit and someone needs to call this company on it.

I would imagine that Mia Belle's selling point, in this instance, is probably that they use a natural wax (they SWORE it was 100% soy until someone gave them a fight so they changed the wording on the jars), and that your wax isn't natural, therefore you're going to kill everyone who lights one of your candles. Paraffin is NOT toxic and if it was most everyone would have cancer, seeing as that was the way most people lit their houses in the last century before electricity.

I'd be blunt with the people at the school and just tell them that Mia Belle, along with several other companies, uses scare tactics and that you guarantee your wax is completely safe, unless some butthead sits the candle up against a flowing curtain....(can't guarantee against idiots! lol)

DanaE

I competed against a Mia Bella rep at a show last month and she didn't dare say things like that about my candles because my candles are pure soy and she use to buy them until she got link with Mia Bella. She did however say that pariffin was toxic and I walked over and corrected her in front of a customer. She want to know why I would defend it and I asked her why she had to pull a product down in order to shore up Mia Bella's reputation?:undecided

She wasn't making any sales and put away the candles after the first night. She sold her other crafts and I sold the candles.

After the show, she and her husband complained to the festival rep but the rep told her that she couldn't run down anyone to sell candles. She ticked off several people the first day of the fest.:confused:

If I were you, I'd get as much physical proof as possible...anything she has given in writting from your customers. Keep everything as it will help you in the end. I know a rep. from that company that swore they were "all natural soy" candles, and I kept correcting her...I actually told her that they were going to change the label even before she knew (thanks to this board!!). Their company is from my area...actually their factory is extremely close to me. I only make candles as a hobby but they have really misinformed their rep.'s or possibly just didn't inform them correctly (IN MY OPINION), since the one I know said that other candle makers use lead wicks and we all know that's not the case in the U.S. It's sad what people will do. Good luck to you.

After speaking with one of the owners of Mia Bella Candles, I can see that their candles are not 100% natural biodegradable as they use synthetic fragrance oils - like most of us. And there is NO soy in their wax though it may be a natural wax blend (but who knows with them??!!). I haven't been able to track the woman down yet, but will definitely use the advice I have received via the board and also emails I've recieved.

Thanks!

VickiB in CA