Tried the Search, Complete Newbie ?

Hey there, Im hosting a baby shower for my sister, and I am trying to make some candles for the shower...

I am going to use baby food jars, the 4 oz size. I am hoping to use the oils to scent the wax with that smells like Baby Powder...

I found a few sites that sell this, but I am wondering..is it safe to put "oil" in where a flame is? Won't this cause a fire? How do you add fragerance to wax without it being a fire hazard? Sorry if this was covered somewhere on the board, but I couldn't find it.

Does anyone know the temperature at which a candle burns? I looked for that one too....thanks!!

OH also, is it safe to use glass to make scented candles inside???

-ME:grin2:

Hey there, Im hosting a baby shower for my sister, and I am trying to make some candles for the shower...

Hope you have enough time to get the supplies you need, make some and thoroughly test them before the shower... it's not quick or easy ;)

I am going to use baby food jars, the 4 oz size. I am hoping to use the oils to scent the wax with that smells like Baby Powder...

I found a few sites that sell this, but I am wondering..is it safe to put "oil" in where a flame is? Won't this cause a fire? How do you add fragerance to wax without it being a fire hazard? Sorry if this was covered somewhere on the board, but I couldn't find it.

If you but quality Candle Fragrance Oils, yes, it's perfectly safe. That's what they're designed for. It's not like having oil floating in the candle. You mix it in while the wax is liquid, they bind together and when it cools, it's becomes solid scented wax.

Does anyone know the temperature at which a candle burns? I looked for that one too....thanks!!

Personally, no, I don't know. Is there a reason you need to know the temp?

OH also, is it safe to use glass to make scented candles inside???

I'm not sure what you're asking here. I'm pretty sure you've seen candles in glass jars at some time or another. You just need to keep in mind that it will get hot so it needs to be thick quality glass that can handle the temp. Unless you're asking about baby food jars specifically? I've never tried them, but I've heard of others who have.

Now.. if I may give you the most important piece of advice I possible can. Read, read, and read some more. All through this site and even much more in the archive of the old board is more helpful information than you can possibly imagine. From the sound of it, this is your first try. Not to discourage you, but for the sake of safety (and your bank account) research as much as you possibly can before starting. Good luck :)

Don't want to discourage you but Ducky is right. You need time to learn how to make a candle and test it before giving them out as shower favors. I would strongly suggest you go the old board. Look in the lower right corner of this page. In the Forum Jump box the last item is Access Archives. Click that. Once you get to the archives look at the left margin of your screen. Under Basic Instructions read melting wax and container candles. Under General Instructions read Safe Containers. T^hose 3 sections will give you step by step instructions.

Also Peak, which sponsors this board, has a very nice Baby Powder FO. They also have a Container Candle Starter Kit which will have the basic equipment you need to make a safe candle.

Welcome and good luck

Not to be discouraging, but if this is a one time project for you, you would probably be better off just buying them from one of the talented candlemakers on here. :) Like the others said, by the time you get all the neccessary supplies and get it tested in you could have bought them cheaper.....most people don't realize how expensive and time consuming making candles can be. They think it's easy to just stick a wick in some wax and viola! I ,however, want to make sure that my candle is SAFE before giving out to family and friends (as I am sure you do too)......anyway, whatever you decide, good luck!