Rustic Pricing Question

eugenia

Of course I realize that everything depends upon your geographical area. I'm working on a boatload of 3 x 5" Rustic Pillars for an October show in a very wealthy town. they are all one of a kind, made by hand blah blah blah but the truth of the matter is they are VERY labor intensive due to the layers and perfect timing. I'm thinking about pricing them at 10 bucks and was wondering what you guys thought. Sunshine container is making boxes for me, so they will each get their own box.

e

I've often wondered myself since I tend to do the same candles. I think a long time ago there was a thread on CT about this question. It came down to yes charging more, say up to $2 a pillar more. Dont have any clue if that helps but yes you should charge more if its more labor intensive.

I don't offer them on my site anymore because, well, I couldn't charge enough for me to feel they were worth my time. :P But, when I did, I charged a few more dollars for them because of what Tanya said - they're labor intensive. I still will make them on request, or for fun, etc. But that's it.

Currently, I have my 3x4.5 retailed at $8 but I think that's changing.

When the guy took my pillars to the trade shows, he marked the wholesale price that I gave him up by a dollar, so he was wholesaling that size for $5. If the retailers plan on doubling their cost, it would be marked at $10...

The Tuscany store has my sets listed for $30 and they're selling really well at that price. It's a higher end store, very expensive things inside, so I don't think the customers are even blinking at $30 for a set of candles.

If I broke it down, it would be $12 for a 3x6, $10 for a 3x4.5 and $8 for 3x3.

E, I totally feel the price right now is not worth the time! All of these rustics are tilted layers, 3 colors (same tone, just lighter on top)...I'm tired! LOL

Not sure if this helped any now that I've rambled. Too much FO this week... :rolleyes2

Well one theory says you sell things for less than they're worth in hopes of persuading people to buy them. Not my philosophy for how to make money. These candles are special and should be priced accordingly. How are people with money gonna know what the good stuff is unless it costs more? Give this wealthy town something to spend its money on.

E-

I think $10 is extremely reasonable. I would pay that. Heck, what are the pillars that size at Pier 1? I think your stuff is a million times better. I make candles, and I want to buy yours. Out of curiosity--how much do those pillars weigh (approximately).

E-

I think $10 is extremely reasonable. I would pay that. Heck, what are the pillars that size at Pier 1? I think your stuff is a million times better. I make candles, and I want to buy yours. Out of curiosity--how much do those pillars weigh (approximately).

These are exactly 1 lb.

e

Girl, I'd try for $12.00 each or 2 for $22.00 or 3 for $30.00! :grin2:

Just my opinion--as a consumer I wouldn't think twice about paying those prices. You need to hook up with an interior designer, and get your candles out there where you can charge $20 per pillar (custom created pillars). I absolutely love your stuff, and when I grow up, I want to be just like you. Hell, I'm just starting with chunky pillars, so far away from the beautiful candles you do! :smiley2:

People that live in areas like that are conditioned to pay more money for just about anything. I think your price is too low. I would go 13.95 or two for 25.00 myself. Those candles take hours to make. You don't work for free. If you have an opportunity to make premier dollar on your candles, go for it!

Also, let me give u a little tip. People LOVE purchasing things just because they are pretty. Especially women, who purchase 80% or more of all candle sales in the USA. Make no mistake. Your packaging will make or break you. The boxes sound like a fine idea. I would jazz them up a bit with something like a charm, a ribbon or something in that line. Its all about presentation at shows. Then if they find the candle exceptional, its future sales on your website or orders by phone. Its my two cents for whatever its worth.

I agree with MAngel. If you are selling to an upscale area by all means go for the $14 range. People pay that for the P-lite candles and they are just plain pillars w/out much scent. Your candles are gorgeous and you should get more for such a difficult candle to make. If they will pay $100 for a pair of blue jeans they can put out for your candles.

Trish is proof peeps will pay bucks for candles especially pretty ones...you go girls!