Question

I see alot of candle makers stating not to burn a container candle no more than 3 hours at time.

My question is...Is the an old rule of thumb?

I've noticed I don't get a good melt pool in 3 hours...More like 4 hours (sometimes 5). I've tried wicking up (before anyone suggests this) and it the melt pool was too deep and had a big ole flame.

Could it be because of the different formulations in wax that it may take longer than 3 hours?

Oh, I have read that the first burn on a candle is a "memory burn" well, if you don't get a full melt pool here isn't it going to tunnel the rest of the candle and be hard to catch up later?

Sorry if I have confused anyone else besides myself.

Well I was going to suggest wicking up, but you said that you have tried that. I will always have a full melt burn in my containers using 1945 and zinc wicks (different sizes, depending on the container) by 3 or 3 1/2 hours on the first burn. I guess if you aren't having any problems with with smoking or high flames, then you are probably alright : ) I think all those rules are pretty general anyway.

I am having the same issue with 4627. Many of my FOs don't come to a FMP in 3 hours, but they catch up nicely on later burns. If I wick up, then the flame is too large and I get too much soot. Not sure what to do about it though. I'm still trying to find the right wick for this wax. So far, I am using the HTP but am getting some soot even with a smaller wick (but great hot throw), so maybe another wick will work better.