Wick frustration

Recently I made some layered candles - melted the wax, added the FO, then divided the wax into three different pour pots. I used a 30 flat ply to begin my burn tests. It was perfect for the first three hour burn, then on the second burn, it overflowed within about 1 1/2 hours. Is this because the FO may have been more concentrated in the second layer?

Did try bigger wicks and several different types, the burn was good for many wicks, but they all were real torches (even when trimmed) and that's not what I want. This is getting too expensive:angry2:

Sorry. Wax is 1245 pure paraffin mp about 140. 3tbsp pp steric, 4% FO pp. 3in diameter mold. Cold Pour.

tried 30 Flat ply first and it was great on the first burn. On the second burn, the wax melted the whole top and overflowed in about 1 1/2 hours, so the wax wasn't being consumed. Tried the 24 and on the seond burn the wick almost went out. So tried hotter wicks like HTP. They were OK, but the flames were like torches.

It appears that the second layer of was is acting differently than the first. Was wondering how many have had this problem with making layered candles.

Sorry. Wax is 1245 pure paraffin mp about 140. 3tbsp pp steric, 4% FO pp. 3in diameter mold. Cold Pour.

tried 30 Flat ply first and it was great on the first burn. On the second burn, the wax melted the whole top and overflowed in about 1 1/2 hours, so the wax wasn't being consumed.

Try adding 1/2 a teaspoon of vybar 103 per lb. of wax. You should also be able to get more FO in there with the vybar. You will still get a rustic finish. I've been having great success with the 30ply flat. Here's a trick I learned from Sheila. When wicking the mold, twist the 30ply very tightly. Helps to keep it more rigid and centered when burning.

e

Thanks, Eugenia. I will add vybar next time. I actually made similar ones from 1242 which is a blend and they went rustic as well. Have a case of the 1245 and am trying to get results from is (can't get 1343 here). Have been using wick pins trying to get the right wick.

Have been using wick pins trying to get the right wick.

That might be part of it; I pre-wick the mold, no pin. It's different when you use the pin, perhaps more air around the wick from the hole? At any rate, Trish uses wick pins and loves the 27ply flat for 3" pillars.

e

Try adding 1/2 a teaspoon of vybar 103 per lb. of wax. You should also be able to get more FO in there with the vybar. You will still get a rustic finish. I've been having great success with the 30ply flat. Here's a trick I learned from Sheila. When wicking the mold, twist the 30ply very tightly. Helps to keep it more rigid and centered when burning.

e

If adding the vybar I think you might want to decrease the amount of stearic, (JMO), and I'm a twister too (the wick) and use a 30 flat with real good results. HTH

Eugenia....does this mean we could be "twisted sisters"? LOL :grin2:

If adding the vybar I think you might want to decrease the amount of stearic, (JMO), and I'm a twister too (the wick) and use a 30 flat with real good results. HTH

Eugenia....does this mean we could be "twisted sisters"? LOL :grin2:

Hey Twisted Sister, I'm test burning one right now with 3T of stearic and 1/2 tsp vybar and it's doing great-30 ply twisted flat.

e

Hey Twisted Sister, I'm test burning one right now with 3T of stearic and 1/2 tsp vybar and it's doing great-30 ply twisted flat.

e

Thats very interesting. Have you always used vybar and stearic together or is this something new you are testing out? Yes I'm gettin nosey...:tongue2: Asking because I was wondering about binding scent

Thats very interesting. Have you always used vybar and stearic together or is this something new you are testing out? Yes I'm gettin nosey...:tongue2: Asking because I was wondering about binding scent

DanaE is my mad scientist partner in this. We are testing translucent crystals, vybar 103 and 3T stearic in 1343 and 4045 in Rustics and have been able to get increased FO load with good throw and good burn. The stearic gives the frost look, can't leave it out.

e

DanaE is my mad scientist partner in this. We are testing translucent crystals, vybar 103 and 3T stearic in 1343 and 4045 in Rustics and have been able to get increased FO load with good throw and good burn. The stearic gives the frost look, can't leave it out.

e

No, I know not to leave it out....but I know Stearic also increases FO load and I was thinking (yes, thinking) LOL--that IF BOTH vybar and stearic increase FO load, if you overdid it you could POSSIBLY be overloading and then end up binding....you know what I mean...too much of a good thing kinda thing. Very interesting test....and I think I need to grab my vybar and some pillar molds! :grin2:

Julie (Scented)...are you out there?? I've got my bug back!! Thank you too, girlie :grin2:

It's been a long 2 1/2 months!!

No, I know not to leave it out....but I know Stearic also increases FO load and I was thinking (yes, thinking) LOL--that IF BOTH vybar and stearic increase FO load, if you overdid it you could POSSIBLY be overloading and then end up binding

Mary, I'd never used vybar in my Rustics, just stearic. For some reason I thought it would have an adverse affect on the Rustic part. I'd never tried both, sooooooo, you know how it goes, just have to find out for myself and surprise of surprises, it's working. I think Dana tried 1/4 t with the 4045. I threw the crystals in because they were there, LOL. I have a case of 4045 wax coming so we shall see, as I've only tested the 1343

e

That's why I like this board. Have been a member for a long time and learn something new everyday. The twisted wick, hmmm, will have to try that too. I also think that the composition of my next layer was a little different. Perhaps too much color was added and th wick clogged. Anyhow, "food for thought".

Mary, I'd never used vybar in my Rustics, just stearic. For some reason I thought it would have an adverse affect on the Rustic part. I'd never tried both, sooooooo, you know how it goes, just have to find out for myself and surprise of surprises, it's working. I think Dana tried 1/4 t with the 4045. I threw the crystals in because they were there, LOL. I have a case of 4045 wax coming so we shall see, as I've only tested the 1343

e

WooHoo...Im on that like a fly on a turd! Thx E :grin2: