Layering Soap - Mary-Mint Parfait (finished pic added 1st post)

Brenda

Thanks Brenda

Posting the pictures sure does help.

So from my understanding of your discription. You mix up the first layer, pour then mix up the second layer then pour, then mix up the third layer then pour.

So .....are you making three different batches of soap or are all of these layers made from the same batch?

Brenda makes three batches. This is a time consuming process. Great tutorial Brenda. Your soaps are always lovely. :smiley2:

Thanks for the reply.

Your right.....that is time consuming.

:sad2: That's the major drawback to this layering. You've got to have the dedicated space and time for this. I don't have children - that's a big factor - being able to leave your soaping things spread out a bit. Takes me about 3 1/2 hours from start to finish.

I usually try to pair making layers with some other soaping activity so I don't notice the wait time so bad; for instance making the whipped soaps in between the layers. Sometimes it's just other housekeeping chores that I can fit in between.

Or just napping! That's sounding better and better these days. :cool2:

:drool: I am always inpressed by your soaps. I am a newbe to soapin and i am hooked already. I have had dreams of putting together recipes. just wish i could remember them when i wake up, they might be good. Anyway your soap is beautiful.

JO

1st thank you so much for posting this with pic's that really helped me understand so much.

envy all of you who live in newer homes

Um see now your assuming that new homes are actually level, **NOT**. I have my work space in the basement & according to my builders the floor is "purposely" not level. (OK what ever) They want any water to flow toward the drain in the floor, but I say there shouldn't be any water coming in my basement in the 1st place. But anyway I live in a new home & I do have to get a little creative too if I want my finished product "level".

Karen B

Brenda - you did a wonderful tutorial.. thanks so much for sharing - I have been admiring your pictures of your soaps, your an inspiration. I do have a question - after your done with the 3rd layer I am assuming you cover it up for a day or so? and do you leave the mold uncovered between layers? Thanks again for sharing.. :)

I do have a question - after your done with the 3rd layer I am assuming you cover it up for a day or so? and do you leave the mold uncovered between layers?

Thanks! The soap mold stays uncovered throughout the pouring process. After I'm done pouring the 3rd layer I pop it in a 170 degree oven for about one hour. When the timer goes off I turn off the oven. I've got a big cutting board that just fits over the top so I cover it as soon as I get it in the oven. It stays in the oven overnight. I do keep an eye on it, and if needed I take the cover off - some recipes heat up more than others and will collect a bit of condensation as it's heating. I wipe off the board and recover if needed. Sometimes I leave the cover off - sometimes it goes back on - it just depends on what the surface of the soap looks like. If there are any FO droplets collecting on the surface I leave the cover off. If there's not too much heat and condensation I leave it on for the whole time. :)

This is probably a dumb question, but I assume that you turn the oven off once you put it in the oven? I mean, you don't leave the heat on overnight do you?

Not a dumb question since my explanation was unclear on that point. I heat it at 170 for approximately one hour, then turn the oven off. Then it stays in the warm oven overnight. (Edited my previous post to reflect that.)

Thanks for the reply Brenda - that was very helpful .. :)

Thanks! The soap mold stays uncovered throughout the pouring process. After I'm done pouring the 3rd layer I pop it in a 170 degree oven for about one hour. When the timer goes off I turn off the oven. I've got a big cutting board that just fits over the top so I cover it as soon as I get it in the oven. It stays in the oven overnight. I do keep an eye on it, and if needed I take the cover off - some recipes heat up more than others and will collect a bit of condensation as it's heating. I wipe off the board and recover if needed. Sometimes I leave the cover off - sometimes it goes back on - it just depends on what the surface of the soap looks like. If there are any FO droplets collecting on the surface I leave the cover off. If there's not too much heat and condensation I leave it on for the whole time. :)