Layering Soap - Mary-Mint Parfait (finished pic added 1st post)

Brenda

I've been asked to show a few pics of how I layer my soaps. So, here are a few pictures that I hope are worth a thousand words! :) Today I made a batch of Mary-Mint Parfait since I'm totally out and here is how it went. I pour at low temps - not sure of the temperature since I've stopped using the thermometer. But when the temp is right I'm able to clamp my ungloved hands on either side of the soap pot and feel only a very, very slight warmth.

I'll skip over the boring parts - all the measuring and waiting and head right to the thickness of the soap when I pour. Here's what the soap looks like when I consider it ready to pour:

When stirred gently from side to side it looks like this.

first_layer_thick.jpg

Drizzled from the spatula here is what it acts like.

first_layer_drizzle.jpg

Pouring into the slab mold. I move the pan around the mold to cover the entire surface, then push the soap into the corners if needed with the spatula.

first_layer_going_in.jpg

After the pour, I grasp the mold and shimmy it from side to side and front to back as it sits on the table until the top is smooth!

While the mold sits out on the table uncovered I measure out ingredients for the second layer then wait for them to cool. After the next batch is ready to pour, in it goes! I try to keep the spatula in the stream and move the pot around as I pour to cover the entire surface of the first layer.

second_layer_going_in.jpg

Here is the second layer all poured, smooth as glass.

smooth_top.jpg

Repeat the process with the third layer! Sorry this pic is so fuzzy. Don't know what happened to my husband's picture taking here. :)

final_layer_begin_to_pour.jpg

Finishing up!

final_layer_finish.jpg

I hope the pictures show the thickness of the soap so if you haven't layered CP before you get a picture of what you can expect to see as you work with this technique.

I should mention level working surface! I always make sure my table is level before I begin pouring. Get the level out and go through the entire drill. There have been times when I have skipped this step and realize that someone has moved the table just enough to make it slightly crooked. By then it's too late - my first layer and all subsequent layers are crooked making me very sad! :cry2:

I envy all of you who live in newer homes and have level counters and floors. There is no such thing as level in our old farmhouse!

All soapers develop their own feel for techniques. This just happens to be what works for me. I hope you have fun trying layering and developing your own procedures and style!

:)

Brenda

Here's the finished soap all cut and trimmed:

Mary_Mint_Parfait.jpg

Yesterday's bars - This recipe was the very first soap I layered and still a favorite of mine (pink and green!)

Thanks, soapers. :)

Thanks Brenda. I usually work with my master batch of oils though so doing the subsequent layers might be tricky. Maybe have a drink while they are setting up huh?

Julia, I'm going to have to look into the master batching of oils. I was just saying that to my husband as I was measuring out the third batch! :rolleyes2 Relaxing between layers has wonderful appeal. :yes: I could set a timer for about an hour to mix and pour the next one. Yes...that sounds good with a drink or without! But, since I passed the big 50 a few years ago a nap during that wait sounds good - very good. :cool2: Sadly.

:rockon: Thank you so much for that awesome! tutorial with the great pics:bow: . I have never done CP...yet (the siren is singing and I hear her loud and clear) and hopefully it will be soon. I am a much better learner when I SEE things and not just read them...so this is now printed and in my notes.

THANK YOU!!!:yay:

Hugs,

Rachel

Thanks Brenda

Posting the pictures sure does help.

So from my understanding of your discription. You mix up the first layer, pour then mix up the second layer then pour, then mix up the third layer then pour.

So .....are you making three different batches of soap or are all of these layers made from the same batch?