delete

Fairy_Light

Under what terms were you working? You need to define what you are going to deliver and for what price. There is usually an initial stage of providing concepts and at that point many clients will choose between one designer and another. You have to give them an "out" plus make it clear what they would owe you if they go with someone else, since you can often expect them to do that. My suspicion is that it may not be worth trying to get this customer to pay in the absence of such an agreement.

If there was no contract or terms come up with beforehand, I'd say there's not much you can do. I understand being hurt and upset that you weren't told they were looking at another designer as well (especially after the work involved), but that's, IMO, how many things in life work.

I also have a feeling that the label was for someone on this board and your post is more directed at them than really wanting input from the rest of us. I think you need to take this matter privately and not here in a public forum.

I do not consider myself a designer. I have been a part of helping a lot of folks on this board with their labels though, and can only speak from that point of view. Mr. Topofmurrayhill has some very valid questions. The most important being: Did you have some sort of an agreement with this person about being compensated for your work? Did this person approach you and ask for your help? Or did you approach them and offer to help? If the latter is the case, did you make it clear from the beginning that there would be a charge for time spent on this label, regardless of whether or not they chose to buy said label?

People change their minds...IMO, that is just a reality of the process of label making. Sometimes we have something in mind, and when we see it on paper it just isn't what we thought it would be..and sometimes other ideas are born. Sometimes I think it is clear after a few attempts, that a "designer" just isn't getting it. At that point, it would be nice if the customer would let us know that they are still seeking other options. At that point I would stop working on the label until I was given further instructions to do so. But that's just me. If communication from your customer had stopped, I'd be inclined to believe that's what they were doing lol, but hey..that's just me too.

My advice to you is, if you are out there charging folks for your services, you need to make your terms clear before you ever start working for them. That would not only be the professional way to approach this, but would alleviate any confusion on the part of the person you are working for. From what you have stated, sending them a bill at this point in time would not only be an exercise in futility, but tacky...especially if there was no contract in place. HTH