Does C-3 get frost and wet spots?

Hi Everyone,

I have been making soy wax candles for years usng the same wax and am considering sampling and switching to C-3. This is a big change for me and I want to know what to expect as much as possible.

Could anyone tell me how this wax is so far as frosting and wet spots go?

Is it possible to get a good cold and hot scent throw?

Are there any tips you can give me?

Thank you much:)

I haven't used this was, but while you are waitng for some answers. you can click on the seach button up top between new posts and quick links and type C-3 into the field, then click go.

You will likely find a good bit of info on this wax using search.

It's the search button on the upper bar and not the search this thread button.

Good luck with it and have fun. :smiley2:

edited to note: I think that you must use at least 3 characters to get a search to work:

C-3 would work. C 3 would not.

Hope this will help you find some answers.

Well, I use C-3. Wet spots, yes...I have yet to find a wax, pouring temp., container, etc. that didn't yield a few wet spots here and there. Some will claim that their candles don't get wet spots...I personally don't believe them. :P Frosting no, as long as the candles are cured and stored in a temp of 67 degrees or slightly longer at all times...but I find this to be true of most soys.

What I do find with the C-3, is that it's best poured around 130 degrees. I heat it to around 175-180, and wait for it to cool about 40 degrees before pouring...the tops will be less liable to crack near the wick. When I do get some imperfections on top, I let them cool completely, and whip out my heat gun...once they've been blasted, this wax does produce a smooth and creamy-looking candle. This also colors a bit easier than a lot of soys. And I cure for about 2 weeks for maximum scent throw.

I really like using this wax!

I've used C3 as well. I've now switched to a soy blend. I did not get any wet spots with C3. That was probably the best part about this wax. I didn't get frosting until I burned it and when it cooled I would get frosting around the melt pool line. Smooth tops initially until it burned and cooled...then it would be lumpy (produced tiny bubbles while wax was melted). I agree about the scent throw...2wks for max throw. I'm using my left over C3 for tarts. What wax are you using and why do you want to switch?

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

Candlewitch - do you recommend a pouring temperature to avoid getting wet spots?

Does anyone here find they can use darker colors with C-3?

Thanks

I use totally Jewel tones on my candles. (60 scents) The dark colors are important to my customers and that what I like as well. I'm personally very turned off by light colors.

I don't temp my wax because I've been using it for so long I can tell by knowing my wax that well

Fire:cool2:

180 to 190 roughly and I never got sink holes and i have used many,many boxes...... Just some seperation if you 2 wick and one pour, otherwise, no Sinkholes as it is defined. Quick heat gun. Gone. If you have a temp controlled room, you will get no or very little frost.

When I use C-3 (cargill naturewax) which is 100% soy, I get wet spots but no frosting. When I use CB3 (calwax calsoy) which is a soy/vegetable blend, I get no wetspot and no frosting. I prefer the CB3 but i have to order from Swans in washington and i pay a higher price per pound plus shipping, I can get the C-3 locally and its less per pound and no shipping.