Help with a hot throw in candle tarts?

Hi everyone, I'm been making candles for about 8 months now and still having problems getting a fabulous hot throw in my tarts, my containers wax I love. I've used straight paraffin with vybar, 3134, and igi 4794. I'm testing the igi 4794 now and getting a ok hot throw, but I want knock your socks off hot throw. I pour at 175 as advised. I've even let my wax cure for weeks!! I know there is a formula out there I've smelled them before. Any suggestions? Thanks sooo much:) . Julie c

Thank you for your reply, I use 1 to 1 1/2 oz fragrance per lb of wax. I use Just Scents, Bittercreek, Natures garden, Indiana Candle Co. I am just stumped and frustrated, My JS 50/50 WOrks great in my containers, and my pillar wax I love too. I thought tarts were suppose to be easy!! ugh! Thanks again.

I'm pouring at 175, and mixing for a good minute. I'm not adding any vybar to this already blended wax. I don't think I have candle nose, I warm a tart and leave the house, come back in few hours and smell it "ok". I know my tarts don't rock like some other candle makers I've bought from before I started. Her's are unbelieveable. I guess I will try mixing a little longer and maybe add FO at 180 - 185, and see what happens. My thermometers are new, so I believe my temp is correct. Do you pour at 175 like candle science suggest?

I'm pouring at 175, and mixing for a good minute. I'm not adding any vybar to this already blended wax. I don't think I have candle nose, I warm a tart and leave the house, come back in few hours and smell it "ok". I know my tarts don't rock like some other candle makers I've bought from before I started. Her's are unbelieveable. I guess I will try mixing a little longer and maybe add FO at 180 - 185, and see what happens. My thermometers are new, so I believe my temp is correct. Do you pour at 175 like candle science suggest?

I add FO around 175 and pour tarts around 160 or so. Some scents just don't throw extremely well, but most of mine are pretty strong. I also use 1 oz pp. I really am not sure now why you're aren't getting a good throw unless it's just those particular Fos you've used. Sometimes this is a frustrating hobby.

You might try varying your testing location. Sometimes certain spots in a room just seem to have no airflow or something, KWIM? Move the tart burner to a different spot, and you might see dramatically different results.

Also, before you judge throw, walk completely out of the room/house, take several deep breaths, then walk back in. Sometimes you've just got candle nose and can't smell diddly, as was suggested before. Have a friend test your tarts in a different house. Have them walk out of the room, walk back in, and note the spot where they first caught a whiff of the fragrance. Six feet away? Four feet? Ten? Etc. It helps to have an objective other take a sniff.

HTH!

I've tried iced oatmeal raisin cookie,and gourmet sugar cookie. They are a lighter fragrance, I'll keep trying, I just want to master this soooo bad! Thanks very much, what a great place to candle talk and learn! Much appreciated! Julie

Julie -I use the 4794 as well but I add 1-2 oz of crisco per pound of wax. There is a huge difference (to me) between just the 4794 and the 4794 with Crisco. Maybe try that and see if it helps! I read somewhere that crisco helps, not sure why, but it does work well for me. If you don't want to do that, try adding some container wax to the 4794 and see if that works for you.

Wow, crisco oil, like plain old veg oil or the shortening? I haven't heard that one. I'll will try that now, my wax is ready to go. My container wax is js 50/50, maybe do 1/2 4791 and 1/2 of js 50/50??

I would try 75% 4794 and 25% JS 50/50. That should be a good ratio to start with and you can adjust if necessary :D

Wow, crisco oil, like plain old veg oil or the shortening? I haven't heard that one. I'll will try that now, my wax is ready to go. My container wax is js 50/50, maybe do 1/2 4791 and 1/2 of js 50/50??

The shortening...just don't mess up and buy the butter flavored kind like I did once :whistle:

Julie, if I can make a suggestion or two:

Check that the temp of the melted tea light is high enough...sometimes the taller burners don't get hot enough. Take it's temp.

Be sure that the tea light you are using gets a flame that is hot enough to melt the tart, and warm it enough without being so hot that it burns off the FO. It isn't as hard as it may sound, I don't mean to make it sound that way.

You would be surprised how temps can create havoc with tarts.

Hope it works out for you.

I make my tarts by the pound and when I measure I do a little over a half-a-pound of my container wax and then the rest a pillar wax and a tsp of mold release. This way the tarts are firm enough but not to firm and have a great scent cold and hot! So I would use the two wax's you have and already like to make your tarts. Now if I could master candles:sad2:

All great suggestion, I'm going to try mixing my 2 wax's and try my 4794 with the crisco, that has curiosity up!! As for the tart burners I use, they are all electric with a big burner, so it's melting the wax nicely and quick for a large melt pool.

Julie, is it the electric warmer with the light bulb that heats it?

I have a pal here on this forum who contacted me months ago about her tarts not getting a throw. She used the electric burners.

She sent me tart samples and I tested extensively and finally made tea lights for her to burn them. Her wax was a higher melt point than my soy. It took awhile, but fortunately we found the right combination of wicks and wax for a hotter burning tea light.

She tried higher watt bulbs also...nearly burned the house down.

Watch those babies!

You know I had to look at my warmer, it has a tiny little bulb, never seen one so small, I guess when that burns out, that burner is done!! lol I'm not sure what the melt point is on 4794, mixing some 50/50 might just bring the melt pool down and help with the hot throw.

So many thing to consider in candle making, who knew when we all ventured in this hobbie!!

Just one more thing that makes you scratch your head. It never ends!

Hobbie gone amuck is an odyssey! lol

Honestly, I would consider trying a regular warmer. Those electric ones are too inconsistent from product to product. If you read the manufacturer's instructions, you may be able to go up a size in the watt of the bulb...just don't overdo it, they are dangerous.

If you know anyone with a tart warmer that uses tea lights...that's the thing to do..test it on a friends. I'll almost guarantee that's your problem.

I hope it works out for you. I know how disappointing and frustrating it can be.

I would diffently mix the waxes or crisco but I also think it has a lot to do with the heat of the warmers. I've noticed the same problem with my electric warmer. They use to sell them with 25 watt bulb which I felt was a bit low on the throw so I threw a 40 watt in there and now I feel that is actually to hot. The throw starts off like a freight train and then after 30-mins to an hour I can hardly smell it. I think most of them are actually sold with 40 watt now so that may be what you have. When they get too hot they just burn the scent off quickly and don't last as long either.

From what I understand, adding crisco softens the paraffin, so you get a quicker melt pool. I'm adding it when my wax reaches it's temp. right before adding my FO. Anyone to add to that. Hope I'm doing correct!! LOL!

Ok, I took the temp. of my melted wax in my electric burners after on for 2-3 hours, one was at 170 and the other at 180. Now that isn't too hot is it? I wouldn't think that would burn off my scent?? BUt I don't know for sure.