Tabbing your own wicks

How many of you tab your own wicks?

What all is involved? Do you stick the wick in from one end and then pinch the metal together to hold it, or what? I just ordered some tabs from Peak. I am not sure if I will be able to do it. I have a tendancy to get frustrated easily. Any tips would be great! There may be about 200 wick tabs in the classifieds some time soon!

I hold the end of the wick with my finger nail, and squeeze the top of the tab with needle nose. Sometimes they curl up but they are easy to bend back.

HTH

(Actually when I'm sitting watching tv or relazing, this is what I don't mind doing) Just make sure you squeeze good or the wick will pop out!

I do both - use pre-tabbed and tab my own. Actually I tab the remainder of the wick after I cut it off. You have the right idea tlc. They aren't hard to do. But just don't crimp it too too tight or else your wick will kinda point to one side.

I've done it in the past, and a few more time during an emergency or when I needed a funny size for burn testing. Yes, you do pretty much what you described, but be careful not to stick the wick too far down into the clip or it won't sit nicely in the container. Also, when you pinch the metal together (I use a small needle nose pliers for this) don't pince TOO hard or you'll bend the base of the tab and again it won't sit nicely.

I do both - use pre-tabbed and tab my own. Actually I tab the remainder of the wick after I cut it off. You have the right idea tlc. They aren't hard to do. But just don't crimp it too too tight or else your wick will kinda point to one side.

I do this too sometimes the wick is way too long so after I cut it I tab and get 2 wicks for the price of one :D

so you just stuff it through the end with out the flat bottom until it meets up ..or do you thread it through from the bottom like sewing and then cut it off?... so simply this seems and how difficult I will make it!!!

I do the same thing! However, I'd rather crimp too tight than not tight enough (you can bend the sides back down). Nothing more frustrating than a wick popping out of the tab while the candle is cooling.

I buy spools of wick and tab my own...have been for 8 years. I just recently started buying some the htp's from peak that are pre tabed. I don't like all the extra the wick either but I like not having to tab them. Its a give and take thing. Tabbing your own is cheaper. :)

I took my tabs back to the supplier and said " Give them to someone who wants to deal with this"

It was WAY frustrating to me. I guess from reading what you guys have written that I crimped them too hard but most of them bent on me and the ones that didnt came out of the tab when I tugged on them to straighten in the wax and THAT is annoying. (I REALLY dont like cleaning jars and starting over)

I think for the price of pretabbed wicks...they are worth the time and effort to me!

This may be a no no to you vetrans, but I also pre cut my wicks, and then apply a "blob" of wax on one end (the bottom)

I try to get them in just right....but sometimes...anyway, the little blob of wax keeps them from slipping out.

I like tabbing my own - have always done it. For votives, I prime the wick, then cut a bunch out to the correct length - I've got marks on the paper covering my work area.

Then I just line up the tabs on the table and stuff and crimp. A crimper bends the base less than a regular needle nose. But even if it's bent - I use a BIG glob of hot glue on it so it doesn't really matter.

That is why I wanted to get the tabs. I feel like I am wasting soooooooo much wick because I was just throwing away the extra bit I cut off after my pillars are done.

I feel the same way. I finally ordered a bag of tabs to use for those wick remnants that I then use in either votives or floaters.

You cand find needle nose pliers at any hardware store. I would think that craft stores would sell them, too. If you use metal core wicks (i.e. zinc), they also have little wire cutters. I had bought a set of 3 - needle nose, wire cutters, ... can't recall what the 3rd piece was.

I do both - use pre-tabbed and tab my own. Actually I tab the remainder of the wick after I cut it off.

I do the exact same thing. Use a needle nose pliers ... it's really easy.