Layered Candles

Im curious how you guys do your layered candles. I tried one today, tilted layer of black first and then filled it up with yellow (was supposed to be ivory but i put the wrong color in...dontcha hate that??) anyway, the black bled into the yellow really bad..i wanted a bright yellow. I used 1274, poured the black at 200 and the yellow at 175 into a room temp mold. I cant post a picture but it is FUGLY! Can someone please tell me what Im doing wrong? I wanted to make a layered candle for a girl I work with by Monday! Thanks!!!

Candlelovr

Hi Candlelovr:

First...you really don't need to pour the wax that hot. Pouring around 175-180 is sufficient. When your first layer has set up to the point of having a somewhat thick skin...you can pour the second layer approximately 10 degrees hotter than your first layer so that the layers adhere well...otherwise they will split apart after cooling. It seems as though you poured your second layer way too soon since your colors ran together...meaning the first layer had not set up enough before you poured the next. Wait until you have a pretty thick skin on that first layer before pouring another. If you want your layers to blend slightly, pour your second layer when you can see the wax roll just underneath the surface when tilted. If you want a destinct separation between the layers...wait until the first one has almost set up completely...but don't wait until the sides have started to separate from the mold because the next layer will drain down the inside of the mold.

Layering takes practice so just keeping pouring until you get it. Before you know it...you'll be making them like a pro.:)

Ok, thanks for your input, I will try that!! When I poured the black, I waited about 2 hours to pour the yellow. So basically, when I put the mold upright, the black had set up enough to where it didnt move. I poured the yellow 25 degrees lower than the black hoping that that would keep them from bleeding together. I do want distinct seperation between the colors..no bleeding!!! So how long should I wait next time before pouring the 2nd layer? 5 or 6 hours maybe? Thanks!

Candlelovr

Are you trying to make that leather and lace candle that was in the gallery? That was nice.

No, I didnt see that candle, i should go look! Im just trying to do a layer. I just started a new job last monday and I was talking to this girl I work with about candles and she made the comment that she loves layered candles that are different scents, so I was gonna try to make her one. I didnt heat the mold before I poured so i got lots of little bubbles...YUCK! I've made ugly candles before but I think this one takes the cake!!! :)

I just saw the leather and lace candles and yes, they are very nice! I sent her a pm so maybe she'll let me in on her lil secret ;)

Thats exactly what Im trying to do tho, as far as distinct colors...her black didnt bleed into her ivory..thats what i want!

Candlelovr

Yeah I thought those were some of the coolest candles ever. If it were me I'd do them in a slightly shorter proportion and tilt just a little less.

There is no secret! Fern just told you what to do. Even without that advice you could figure it out for yourself. Obviously you poured the second layer too hot and/or too soon, so try it cooler and/or later.

You don't need to heat your mold...I never do. To have that distinct layer...let that first layer set up for about 30-45 minutes...maybe even an hour. It depends on how long it takes to cool. In the summer months it's going to take longer of course. The best thing to do is poke a relief hole to see how much it has set up. You want a pretty thick skin...say maybe about 1/8" or a bit more. Then pour your next layer "hotter" by approximately 10 degrees. Pouring that second layer like you did at 25 degrees cooler would never have held together. It would have broken apart taking it out of the mold or shortly thereafter. As far as the air bubbles are concerned...that was probably caused by very vigorous stirring or pouring too fast. Pour your wax slowly and steadily and you shouldn't get any bubbles.

Yep, I probly did pour it too fast.

How about for layered rustics? I wanted to try that next, but of course, it'll be at least a week since Im out of pillar wax =(

Just picturing it, this is how I think it is done, someone correct me if Im wrong:

Rustics have to be poured into a very cold mold..correct? So I would pour my first layer into a very cold mold, let it set for a bit, then put it back in the freezer to get it cold again for the next layer? I saw some really cool layered rustics and I would love to try my hand at it!!

Wouldnt putting the first layer in the freezer cause it to shrink and pull away from the sides of the mold? That part confuses me :(

TIA,

Candlelovr

You don't really want to put a rustic in the freezer because you can end up with too much frost on it and lose the color of the candle itself. You also don't need to chill the mold...you can...but you don't have to. In the summer you can chill them in the fridge...in the cooler months...if your house is already cool...you can use room temperature molds. The trick is adding a lot of stearic (anywhere between 3-6 tablespoons per lb of wax) to get that white frosty look...if that's what you are going for (if you only want a little frost...use less stearic) and pouring at around 140-150 in room temperature molds. You can however, put them in the fridge to hasten the cooling time between layers but you've got to keep an eye on them so that they don't cool so much that they start to pull away from the mold. The layering principle in the rustics is the same as in the non-rustics...you've still got to pour each layer hotter than the next to ensure adhesion...or if it has set up too much by accident...you can reheat the top of the layer with a heat gun to the point of getting a small pool of melted wax and then pour your next layer.

You don't need to heat your mold...I never do. To have that distinct layer...let that first layer set up for about 30-45 minutes...maybe even an hour. It depends on how long it takes to cool. In the summer months it's going to take longer of course. The best thing to do is poke a relief hole to see how much it has set up. You want a pretty thick skin...say maybe about 1/8" or a bit more. Then pour your next layer "hotter" by approximately 10 degrees. Pouring that second layer like you did at 25 degrees cooler would never have held together. It would have broken apart taking it out of the mold or shortly thereafter. As far as the air bubbles are concerned...that was probably caused by very vigorous stirring or pouring too fast. Pour your wax slowly and steadily and you shouldn't get any bubbles.

I actually let the 1st layer set up longer than 30-45 mins. It was pretty much completely set up when I poured the 2nd layer. And as far as splitting apart, it hasnt yet and doesnt look like its going to!! :) Regardless, Im going to follow your instructions and see how that works. Is there some other trick to it like pouring the ligher layer first so that the bleeding wont show? I thought someone said they do that. Anyway, Im out of pillar wax now so I wont be making more till i can order some. I'll try to post pics when I can find my camera!

If you are concerned about the bleed - this is a little trick I do in containers. About 20 minutes after the first layer - I pour a very thin layer of plain wax and then wait until that is set - about 10 min - then I pour the next layer. This seems to really do the trick and I have never had my red and blue bleed into the white center.

HTH,