Votive Moulds

Hi, as some of you may know i am making candles for my business studies project but as i am really enjoying it i am thinking about buying some moulds and things to make some different styles for after the project, but whilst looking at the moulds i see that you can find them much much much much cheaper in the us than over in the uk (where i am from ) so really i was wondering if it would be cheaper to buy from the us and get it shipped over to the uk than actually buying it from the uk ?

And if so what us websites deliver to the uk ?

Hopefully someone can help me on this matter

Thank you.

I would say that ordering from the USA is an option worth exploring. There might be some advantage to investigating suppliers on the East Coast and perhaps near a major air hub.

I could suggest http://www.onestopcandle.com. They do ship internationally and are adjacent to New York City. I don't know if http://www.candlewic.com ships internationally, but I believe they are having a major sale on standard votive molds. Another good East Coast supplier is http://www.candlescience.com.

Glad to hear you've taken a liking to chandlery. Apart from getting molds, I think one of your next steps should be putting aside the crayons and acquiring some candle dye. The dye doesn't clog the wick like the pigment in the crayons does.

Ooo, the last website seemed very good, it said to email them with a list of products that i want and they would quickly respond with a quote dont know how quic they will be as it is bank holiday this weekend in uk ( i suppose it is the same in us ? ) so now i have to write a list of things i want, any suggestions ???

Yes I would suggest the following. Along with the molds, these few items will allow you to create votives that will impress your friends and strike fear into the hearts of your enemies.

- Reddi-Glo dye chips

- Votive/container wick kit

- 8oz bottle of fragrance oil

- 1 slab IGI 4794 wax

The wax will add considerably to the cost and you may need some assistance to safely break the slab into pieces with a hammer. The advantage is that this wax is very easy to use and will produce superb results conpared to what you've been using. Actually it is a blend of paraffin and additives, ready to use.

I have looked at that website and the 3 suppliers, none of the websites jumped out at me and the prices and stock wernt all the brilliant either, would like to stick with the site i am on now but i am worried about the price of delivery and also the fact that there might be some costs incurred due to special duties etc.

LOL if you are willing to spend $30 for the sample pack of Reddi-Glo chips, then perhaps I wasn't trying hard enough to find you things to buy.

If you expect to be doing a lot of this candlemaking then it might be nice to have the sample pack. Otherwise you can pick one or more colors you like. If you intend to buy fragrance, you could consider matching color to fragrance as you see fit.

As for fragrances, I think you should choose what sounds appealing to you. One thing that people do sometimes (not to say that you have to) is choose fragrances that are popular for a particular season. Now that summer is coming to a close, you might look ahead to fall and winter. There tends to be more interest in scents that suggest the autumn harvest and well as scents more suggestive of comfortable indoors such as food, baking and spices.

The wick kit includes 5 wicks of 4 different types, for a total of 20. It's less economical than the packs of 100, but gives you the ability to try different wicks in a candle to see which works best. This is the recommended practice. If you are making very typical votives and prefer to get the most wick for your money, a pack of LX-12 wicks might be a good guess.

As regards duties, I don't think this order would be large enough to incur any extra costs. The price of shipping is a concern, but worth investigating along with the UK suppliers Robin pointed out.

Dee is a large candlemaker in the UK, she runs http://www.candlemaking.org.uk/

She's got 3 UK suppliers listed on her site http://www.candlemaking.org.uk/greatpages.html#suppliers

One thing to watch out for will be any kind of special duties that will be involved in receiving goods - that will add to your price.

Robin, you're incredible ... always a wealth of information streaming from your fingertips!!!!! :cheesy2:

LOL if you are willing to spend $30 for the sample pack of Reddi-Glo chips, then perhaps I wasn't trying hard enough to find you things to buy.

lol. Top, you are always qwacking me up. I've literally laughed out loud several times today reading your comments. You're so funny. :laugh2:

Mrblobby, you might want to conider buying several different FOs in small quantities (1 oz ea) rather than 1 big bottle. Believe me when I say, it really SUCKS to buy an FO only to discover you hate it & then you're stuck w/ a large qty you will never use.

Heck candlewic has weekly sales and if they ship international, it might be worthy joining their newsletter. You've missed the spend $50 and get 50 votives molds free, but who knows, they just might run another one of those.

As for wick, I tend to use the 36z and 44z in votives, but you could sample some LX10, perhaps using the LX12 for heavier colored candles and heavy scents.

I don't know what the duties are in the UK, but when I ship packages to Canada, the duties and fees they have to pay on the packages can sometimes exceed the price of what's in the package. You may get a shock the first time you go to pick up a box and have a huge duty fee (it's based on the price of the items in the box and the shipper HAS to put the full price on the customs slip).

So just be careful there. When I send packages to other countries I now mark all of them as gifts with an amount less than $20 or they STILL have to pay a duty on them (for a GIFT! - what a crock). This is stuff for friends, not selling candles or anything like that so I'm not breaking any laws. It's just at first I didn't know that and I'd put the full value of the stuff on the customs slip.

DanaE

mrblobby1984, you actually may want to consider a sample pack of the dye chips. Thats exactly what I purchased first because I up until recently only used liquid dyes. I don't see what the difference is in buying samples of FOs to try but not the dyes.

:confused:

For instance, if you think the Sage Green in wax actually looks like what is at the site you would be wrong. Even the type of wax you choose is going to make a difference also, for instance, the rust actually looks like a light cantaloupe color in a soy/paraffin blend I used it in.

I bought the sample pack, tried them, then purchased about a dozen that I really liked. Seemed sensible to me.

JMO.