FO suppliers

beesweet

What is the deal with them these days, especially newer ones?

I was finally through testing and getting my list ready to order from one certain supplier only to see that they are adding a "fuel surcharge" to every order on top of the shipping. The shipping for my sample order plus a pre-buy pound a few months ago was already over $8, closer to $9, I believe. That would put shipping at $11 minimum! Combined with their high FO prices, I might as well order from WSP and you all KNOW how I feel about them. :wink2:

When I started a few years ago, the average fragrance price was $20/lb including shipping, with the exception of Sweetcakes, naturally. Now, the average price is hitting closer to $30/lb and up with shipping! The Scent Works is one of them, but at least they have the occasional good sale that helps the price and shipping a little. The others, I won't name since I have nothing positive to say other than the scents are great. :wink2: Just don't feel they're worth the price, long turn-around, etc.

So that got me to thinking, how are those who use them dealing with the cost difference? Do you charge more for products with these scents? Base your price on a average of different fragrance costs? Would you say you sell more by using these fragrances?

I don't know where you live or where you buy your supplies from but I only pay on average of $20.00 per LB for FO's that includes shipping.

I try to find the closest suppliers with the best quality to save on shipping. Also if you place larger orders 200 LB's or more at a time you get UPS Hundered Weight shipping which is cheaper. When I place orders I try to combine heavey items and add on some lighter items so I can get better shipping rates.

I average $17 per pound after shipping, and I don't even buy in bulk.

I refuse to buy from Scent Works or Sweetcakes. My customers are generally low income and they will not absorb the cost for FO that's nearly twice the price of what I'm using now. I have a hard time getting them to pay $4 for a 4 oz tin.

I use ALOT of Sweetcakes, Scent Works, Candle Cocoon, etc. Between my higher end FO's and lower cost FO's I average between $20.00 to $25.00 per lb. overall. Since most of my high end FO's I can use less than 1 oz./lb it all equals out. My customers like the fact that my candle scents are unique and I have no problem getting the prices I ask for!! :cool2:

I saw the fuel charge too. Im guessing thats for driving the packages to the PO or UPS or something? Gas has gone up a lot over the last few years but if the supplier is taking a lot of boxes at a time to the PO/UPS then that fee could add up do a decent amount of money.

A fuel surcharge is added by the shipping co becasue of the cost of fuel. Because they can't absorb the fluctuation in gas prices. The suppliers not asking for a fuel surcharge because they have to drive to the PO or UPS. My guess is they probably have a shipping co that comes to there place of business to pick up packages. Heather

Candleman, I had more of the soap supplier type in mind. Kudos to the candle fragrance suppliers who are keeping costs steady! I haven't seen any of them raising prices or charging extra. :bow:

Donna, I wish I had never tried any of them for that reason, but some of them are so nice! :cry2:

Chris, maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I rarely find a scent I feel comfortable using at less than 1 oz/lb. Or maybe I just have candle nose even though I build in test times and won't pour for several days prior. I've tested a few from Scent Works and Sweetcakes that could possibly. That's a good point about unique scents...I guess that's what we're really paying for. ;) Would you share what type of wax you use? If not, that's ok. :) I'm using ezsoy mixed with a one-pour and looking for a change so I'd love some recommendations.

Seafoam, that's what I thought, too. :undecided I know UPS charges for pick up but I thought USPS would pick up for free the next day? I'd wait an extra day to save a couple of bucks.

The fuel surcharge is from the supplier who uses USPS to ship what seems like the majority of packages. USPS doesn't charge a fuel surcharge and even UPS doesn't charge over $2/pkg for a fuel surcharge...right now the surcharge for UPS is 4.75% or approximately $.48 per $10 base shipping charge.

This is the note I saw posted:

After much consideration, all orders placed on & after August 2, 2006 - we will begin implementing a fuel surcharge of $2.35 per order. We truly regret having to do this, but with the rising cost in fuel we are forced to implement this charge.

The fuel surcharge is from the supplier who uses USPS to ship what seems like the majority of packages. USPS doesn't charge a fuel surcharge and even UPS doesn't charge over $2/pkg for a fuel surcharge...right now the surcharge for UPS is 4.75% or approximately $.48 per $10 base shipping charge.

This is the note I saw posted:

After much consideration, all orders placed on & after August 2, 2006 - we will begin implementing a fuel surcharge of $2.35 per order. We truly regret having to do this, but with the rising cost in fuel we are forced to implement this charge.

ok who is this supplier thats adding the extra fuel charge????

Thanks for posting the update since I didn't see the newsletter. My opinion of them just went up several notches!

:yay:

Ahhh...just found the newsletter in my spam filter. I'm really glad you posted or I wouldn't have known! Thanks again! :)