Igi 4627

Hi Everyone. I've been reading this board for over a year now and have found a lot of good information but this is the first time I've posted anything. I've been making candles for almost two years now and can't seem to find a wax that will give me the hot throw I've been looking for. I just order a sample of IGI 4627 and have a few questions. I've done a search and can't seem to find the information I am looking for. What is the max fragrance load for this wax? The web site that I ordered from has two different amounts. One place on the site says it can hold 1.5 oz. fragrance and then in another part it says it can hold 2 oz. For those of you that use this wax how much fragrance do you normal use? I also read the pour temperature of this wax is 175-185. Just wanted to check to see if everyone is pouring at this temp or do you have better luck pouring cooler. If you have any other tips or suggestions about this wax please let me know. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

This is the wax I currently use. I pour at 185 or sometimes higher, but I put in the FO about 2 seconds before pouring. I pour at a hot temp because it reduces the bubbles (thats my personal experience). I have only used 1oz per Lb due to the fact that I only have samples so far. 1 oz tend to be good but it depends on the FO, some throw better than others.

I too would go with the IGI's recs.. I used this wax and it throws better than anything out there! There is no way you should use more than 1.5 ounces. You should not really need that much. You will have a really tough time wicking it to start, and the smoke stacks coming off your candle will remind you of a factory. HTH...

I do tend to stir while it is in the pot, then in the pour pot just before I pour. The only thing I wondered about is - I have been having trouble with the "blisters" on top of my votives - so I have tried not to stir too much just before I pour those. I am not sure if the blisters are from the pour or coming from under the wick pin. I NEVER had these problems with votives before....very, very frustrating!

I do tend to stir while it is in the pot, then in the pour pot just before I pour. The only thing I wondered about is - I have been having trouble with the "blisters" on top of my votives - so I have tried not to stir too much just before I pour those. I am not sure if the blisters are from the pour or coming from under the wick pin. I NEVER had these problems with votives before....very, very frustrating!

You're using 4627 for votives? That would be much too soft. 4627 often gives a ripple effect, but I've never heard of it blistering.

You're using 4627 for votives? That would be much too soft. 4627 often gives a ripple effect, but I've never heard of it blistering.

No, sorry for the misunderstanding...I am using 4794 for votives....just wondering if the stirring is causing too many bubbles before I pour. After I pour the votives, I see bubbles rise to the top - and if the wax is starting to set, the bubbles end up sitting at the top of the votive and looking like a blister.

I got my sample of 4627 and I was surprised at how soft this wax was. I had to actually use a large spoon to get the wax out of the bag. I made up 3 - 4 oz. candles last night. The colors were nice and rich which I liked very much. The cold throw this morning was very nice. I used 4 oz of wax and 1/4 oz. FO. Wild Watermelon, Juniper Breeze and Spiced Cranberry. What is the cure time for this wax?

Jane, I've had a lot of problems with votices when I first started making them but have finally got them worked out. I use 4794 to. What temp are you pouring at? I heat my wax to about 190, add FO at 185 and pour around 170 or 175. I've never had any blisters on the tops of my candles but pit holes were a different story. I conquered the pit holes :yay: I also warm my votive molds but I think that is more a personally preference.

Jane, I've had a lot of problems with votices when I first started making them but have finally got them worked out. I use 4794 to. What temp are you pouring at? I heat my wax to about 190, add FO at 185 and pour around 170 or 175. I've never had any blisters on the tops of my candles but pit holes were a different story. I conquered the pit holes :yay: I also warm my votive molds but I think that is more a personally preference.

Do you just "warm" the votives or "heat" them? I try really hard to just have them at about 150, but I am using a turkey roaster now (easier than running up and down the stairs to the oven) and it seems harder to regulate the temp with that.

I heat to about 185, then pour at between 170-175...and have always heated my molds. When I started doing this, they were PERFECT, then all of a sudden I am getting blisters.....I have gone through my notes and can find no difference in what I am doing. Just when you think you have ONE thing down.....:laugh2: It's probably happening because I THINK I may have the wicking on the jars down.......it would be too good to have BOTH of them working right at the same time!!!! :laugh2: :laugh2:

My oven doesn't go below 170 and thats what I heat them too. I put the molds in the oven when I first get starting melting the wax and leave them in there until it is time for me to pour in them.

Well, I will keep plugging along...thanks for the input!

Jane

Jane,

Where did you purchase your 4794 and when? Do you happen to have the batch#? I suddenly began experiencing problems with votives and electrics..funky, brittle, cracking, breaking...after opening a new case of 4794. Finally, I called the supplier who, in turn, contacted the manufacturer. That particular batch was within tolerance, but at the high end. Needless to say, that high end was too high to justify wasting anymore of my time, FO, etc. It was easier on my sanity and bank account to write off those 4 cases. Back in production with another supplier and another batch #. Long way around, I know, but the problem may not be you. Call the supplier with the batch # and date of purchase to inquire whether they've received similar feedback from other customers.