Ricing in CP when using RBO

KMommy

I know many people use a high % of Rice Bran Oil and have no problems at all. I have read comments where others like myself have had problems with it. I have had ricing with every single batch that I have made using Rice Bran Oil. The soap accelerates even before I have a chance to add the FO! I usually end up spooning it out of the pot. I know it is the RBO because when I leave it out of the same recipe the batch turns out fine. Which makes me wonder why some of us have problems with it and others don't. Do you think it is possible that maybe it is the combination of RBO with other ingredients that may cause the problem? Maybe there is something that I am using in my batch in combination with the RBO that others who are not having problems with it don't have in their recipe?

Only time that I have what looks like 'ricing' in my oils and lye, before the FO, is from my palm. It gets a little grainy looking but it stick blends smooth. But the only true ricing I've had is due to the FO. I've used all those oils, together even, without a problem. Hmmm, a mystery.

What are your temperatures, oil and lye? If you don't take them, try it on a few batches. You might be surprised to find out your oils are at 130-140F. How much water and lye are you using?

Another thing I just thought of - are you shaking your RBO before using it? There are lots of unsaponifiables in it, and they can sink to the bottom of the bottle. Is the problem worse when you're near the bottom of the bottle?

Only time that I have what looks like 'ricing' in my oils and lye, before the FO, is from my palm. It gets a little grainy looking but it stick blends smooth. But the only true ricing I've had is due to the FO. I've used all those oils, together even, without a problem. Hmmm, a mystery.

That's what I was thinking, the palm can start to solidy and look like ricing, especailly if the palm is hotter than the other oils. Sometimes it even looks like lye spots in the finished soap but it's palm.

I don't have a photo of my soaps but the one on the following link looks alot like what happened to mine. I didn't even get to add the FO.

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15128&highlight=Brown+Sugar+fig+fiasco

I believe the lye/water was 98 and the oils were 105. The recipe only uses 10 % of the Palm oil and 25% RBO. The RBO was a brand new bottle but thanks Robin for telling about stiring it. I didn't know that! I was reading some post on another board from others that also have the same problem when using RBO but there were more from those that use it with no problems.

A completely different question here. I see that some are using RBO as a sub for Olive Oil since OO prices have increased. Does RBO have the same feel in the finished product as OO? I normally try to use a little OO and Castor in just about every batch.

Try melting all your oils (hard & soft) the day before and mix up your lye as well. Soap the next day RT. This has done wonders for me. My batches are more leisurely and behave much better. I used to have constant problems with super fast trace before the FO was even added. I think my oil combo is the culprit; I use a lot of fast tracers and this really, really helps.

e

Try melting all your oils (hard & soft) the day before and mix up your lye as well. Soap the next day RT. This has done wonders for me. My batches are more leisurely and behave much better. I used to have constant problems with super fast trace before the FO was even added. I think my oil combo is the culprit; I use a lot of fast tracers and this really, really helps.

e

I think you are so right. My batches used to trace super fast also, I always blamed it on the FO. It's only recently when I went back to basics- olive, coconut, palm- that I started getting much better behaved batches. I'm slowly adding or subbing different oils from this and it's working out a lot better!

Its a relief to hear people's batches are/were tracing fast as I have the same thing. I'm usually done within easily 5 minutes, if that, once I pour the lye in. I always wondered what was I doing wrong ?! Then read somewhere yesterday a list of oil properties and one column's title was fast tracers.... almost every oil I use was on that list!