For all you wickless folks

OK, I made a few wickless containers this week and decided to put one on the melter. I left the wax uncolored for testing purposes. Now that it is melted I am seeing all sorts of stuff floating in the wax, including what appears to be small hairs of some sort. OK, now my wax is stored in the box and sealed in plastic. The only time it is open is when I am cutting off wax to use. I clean my Presto before & after each use, as well as my pour pots. Does anyone else have this problem? What are my customers going to think? Is this typical? If I add color will this help or hinder?

I clean my Presto before & after each use, as well as my pour pots. Does anyone else have this problem? What are my customers going to think? Is this typical? If I add color will this help or hinder?

No, I've never had this problem nor do I think it is typical. Did you not see all this "stuff" when you were melting, stirring and pouring the wax?

I didn't notice anything in the Presto but as it is black it would be hard to see anyway. I poured quickly so I didn't notice anything off then either, but then I wasn't looking. Hopefully it is just a bit of crud in that slab and I'll certainly be in the lookout next time.

I generally color most of my candles, but even with the white ones, I've never noticed anything like this. I would assume it's just just or dirt from the wax (before it got into your house) or stuff in the presto. Maybe the wickless container was dirty? I don't know.

I pulled wax from another box & had no problem, so it must have been that box/slab. Luckily there isn't much left in it, so it is now officially my "tester" wax.

On a somewhat related note I got a box of wax once that when I opened it & peeled back the plastic it looked like there was mouse poop all over one of the edges. Now that was kinda gross.

Well, actually my siggy is more of a joke, but that's certainly not the point. And as for how I couldn't see it, I wasn't paying too close of attention as they were just testers for my own personal use. And let's also consider a slender item, like say, oh a small dark hair, floating in a liquid against a black background. Not exactly a neon sign screaming "LOOK AT ME!". So perhaps it was not, like, all that impossible.

I am quite certain that I am not the only individual that has ever had any type of sediment/dirt/whatever in their wax as it arrived from the manufacturer. While I realize that it is impossible to read "tone" from a written post the majority of what I imparted was sarcastic.

It's worth some effort to avoid foreign material in products made for sale. It doesn't make a professional impression to say the least. Places that carry materials handling supplies (like Uline) sell boxes of disposable hair nets. Many waxes are best filtered, like the ones that are packaged as bare slabs in carboard cartons. I don't bother for testers, but for production batches I take reasonable precautions.

This is why when I get a box of wax..I check it..cut it up and immediately put it in my white garbage bag lined rubbermaid container with a tight fitting lid..so nothing can get in the box it comes in..which is usually beat to crap from shipping anyway. ..plus it is hard to keeps pesky things outta carboard boxes..

ummm..did you know roaches can live in and are attracted to the glue on tape and also that people use to glue carboard boxes together..ewww..:tongue2: I try to get rid of boxes shipped to me as quick as possible for these reasons..and keep everything in plastic.

As far as the hair goes..did you check the container or clean it first before you poured..do you keep a lid on your presto when not in use..you can tell when you pour into you pour pot if there is something in it..plus stuff usually floats..i have had a few cardboard bits in some before..and they come right to the top..sorry I am anal about that stuff I always check and double check.

this is also why I am going to have those who work in my shop wear pink bandanas over their hair.:P

I bought a block of wax from Michaels and didn't notice it at the time but after I melted and poured it had little hairs and crud in the wax. I always kept things clean too. Sometimes you can't see the crud in the wax until it's too late. I hope you don't get any more wax like this. By the way, where did you get that wax at?

Did you run your vacuum or a fan nearby when this stuff was melted? It seems like so much foreign material would get in that way. I mean for that much stuff to be in there, it ad to be something dramatic. Unless you store your slabs of soft wax on the carpet or something. I do not have that problem. The occassional hair (since I have really long, think hair), will sometimes slip into my wax. I had a worm in one of my tarts once (we had a worm problem). I always try to inspect everything.

Did you run your vacuum or a fan nearby when this stuff was melted? It seems like so much foreign material would get in that way. I mean for that much stuff to be in there, it ad to be something dramatic. Unless you store your slabs of soft wax on the carpet or something. I do not have that problem. The occassional hair (since I have really long, think hair), will sometimes slip into my wax. I had a worm in one of my tarts once (we had a worm problem). I always try to inspect everything.

Someone's been drinking too much tequila :P

I do what Rachel does. I take my wax out of its shipping box and put it into a large plastic container. Sometimes I have noticed the boxes are all torn and the dang wax is hanging out of the box! Thats when I decided to always take it out of its box right away and put it in a clean container. I always check for grit, dirt, dust, etc.