Companies that weigh fragrances

I still cannot figure out the logic behind weighing out a fragrance versus shipping actual volume. I recently ordered a 16 oz bottle from a company and received nearly half a container full. Although I understand some oils have different densities, etc, but I still can't help but feel ripped off,lol.

It makes sense to me, to sell it by weight, because that's how I formulate. So in order to know how many batches I can make I need to know what weight I am getting.

Sounds odd that they didn't match the bottle size closer to the actual volume - maybe they ran out of the right size?

I still cannot figure out the logic behind weighing out a fragrance versus shipping actual volume. I recently ordered a 16 oz bottle from a company and received nearly half a container full. Although I understand some oils have different densities, etc, but I still can't help but feel ripped off,lol.

You just seem to have more trouble with suppliers...

I've received some bottles that appear extremely short but always weigh out correctly, but none at half a bottle, more like 3/4.

I'm much more aggravated by very light scents that wind up short. I just finished a fundraiser with a scent that wound up 9 oz. short by weight (ordered 3 1 lb. bottles) and had to order and pay shipping for a pound to be able to finish, not to mention the cost per oz. difference between $.93 and $1.15. I should have had an extra 7 oz. upon completion and wound up losing $16 in profit. :mad:

I think suppliers should have some sort of disclosure on their site in these cases since we work with weight versus volume for our products and costing. At least these were full bottles...a fixed oil from WSP was over an ounce short with room in the bottle! Grrrrr! I complain about them at every opportunity so I should have known better...

This is sort of a different thing, but along the same lines. I ordered a pound sample of NG's MultiBase, and it only weighed a pound including the plastic bowl it came in.:tongue2:

I ordered 2 ounces of spinach powder and just weighed it and its 1.4 oz including the bag. Oh well, I guess they figure we wont weigh it or they are doing guestimations.

Hmmm...imagine the "extra" profits these suppliers are getting off every order. For every l5 lbs they sell, they get a whole extra container's worth or more.

Oh, it was NG with my scent issue, too, but as I said, at least the bottles were full so they tried. Just wish I'd known it wasn't 16 oz. weighed for cost and product planning. :tongue2:

I weighed it, and its just short of 16 oz including the bottle. Thanks for your help. Since we moved I have not unpacked everything and never thought it weigh it (duh:p ), since my good scale was packed up.
The weight of the bottle needs to be factored in...

I thought when they weigh fragrances the bottle should be put on the scale. The scale should be tared, then the fragrance`should be poured in until it reached the weight that a person ordered, be it 2 oz, 4 oz, etc. We cant use the bottles in our formulations:grin2: :grin2: If our recipe calls for 2 ounces of something and we only received 2 oz including the weight of the container, then the recipe is off.

I'm not sure how other companies weigh but we do factor in the bottle weight. Weigh bottle, tare scale and THEN weigh fragrance. We haven't had a fo that would not fit 16 oz in the bottle yet but if I ever did I would certainly add the difference to your order in a smaller bottle. This is only common sense and the honest thing to do. Can't believe a supplier would handle it any differently.

JMOH,

Connie