Buisness idea-opinions needed

terrilee

Ok I need some opinions here. I started making Votives and tarts and wickless jars ( I know Im a wimp) any way I really enjoy the tarts . I want to start my business soon once I nail down the scents I would like .

Here are my thoughts and plans ( please let me know what you think)

My company name would be Terri Lee’s Sweet Tarts

All displays will be Glass Old Fashioned Candy penny jars (10 scents) Tarts in the jars . Votives and wickless avab. If wanted

The colors will be candy stripe (pink and white)( The cloth colors and labels and my apron)

The table will be the old fashioned trolly cart ( hubby is a wood worker)

Plus I will sell by the oz and have an old fashioned candy scale ( more for looks ) as I know my tarts are ½ oz each.

For added decorations I will have old fashioned malt glasses filled with hard candy and stuff.

I plan on doing home parties to start.

What do you think ? Too much , too little, goofy? Any other ideas.

Thanks for your help

Terri Lee

I think the concept is great and very well thought out. If you are going to be online or in other public venues though you may run into trouble with the Sweet Tart name. The candy company who makes the candy probably has it trademarked and Yank** Candles has the word Tart trademarked.

Be sure to have some accessories like tealight warmers for your tarts and candles warmers for your wickless. Best of luck!

Yank** Candles owns the 'tart' trademark. My only concern is that as your business grows you may end up online and wholesaling to stores and you'll have to change your name if challenged. Best to have one that will stick from the get go...

Brainstorm with everyone you know for good names. Do a trademark search and buy a domain name asap if you think you'll need it in the future.

Though the Sweet Tart name doesn't infringe on the Sweetart candy because of the spelling. Yank** does hold registered trademark rights for the word Tart. Whether or not they will challenge use of the name is unknown because if you look up the words candle tarts or sweet tart there is a dozen websites using that word. There is also several candlemakers on this board alone that use that word in their websites. So Why the hell not use it. You are just starting out unless you are posing a threat to their business they won't care.

Thank you all for your input. I did do a trademark search for the names as well and yes there were about 178 using the word tart. My legal given name of Terri Lee also has a trade mark to it..lol :grin2:

I dont think I will ever be big enough to be a threat to anybody. I just want to enjoy the craft of candle making and share the product with friends.

Thank you all

Terri Lee