Astorlite J225

Astorlites Newest Wax from thier "Total Scents" product line. This wax is not yet available for retail sale, but I just got a sample in the mail today. I was wondering if anyone else has tested this product yet. I can't wait to test it.

scan00011.jpg

IMG_1921.jpg

http://astorlite.com/servlet/com.honeywell.sccndl.controller.FileDisplayServlet?filename=J225.jpg&reqtype=NEWS

http://astorlite.com/npccg/ccg_wax_spectrum.html

It probably uses stearic or some similar additive to better hold the FO. From what little I know, technically, about wax & additives, etc, that's my guess anyway.

One thing I've always wondered about, is how much, by percent (since that's the way we're used to thinking about FO load), any given additive designed for that purpose actually increases the wax's ability to better retain FO. I hope I phrased that in a way that makes sense. But I've never gotten any answers.

Looking forward to hearing how you like this wax & what you think of it once you make some candles with it.

How did you get a free sample? I've requested samples of palm waxes, not sure if it was the same site or someplace else, months ago & have had no responses, even when I've sent follow-up emails.

One thing I've always wondered about, is how much, by percent (since that's the way we're used to thinking about FO load), any given additive designed for that purpose actually increases the wax's ability to better retain FO. I hope I phrased that in a way that makes sense. But I've never gotten any answers.
It's a good question, but for practical purposes I don't think there's an answer.

The effect of an additive on wax is seldom linear. In other words, what it does doesn't vary proportionally to the percentage you put in. It's also influenced by many other things. So rather than generalize, you could probably only answer the question of how much an addtive will increase FO retention at a given addition level, in a particular wax, with a specific FO, using a given production method (pour temp, cooling factors, etc.).

It can also get tricky when you start getting near the limit of FO retention in the wax, such as with mottled candles. For instance, add 1% stearic to a mottle and its FO retention will go down rather than up, which isn't normally what you'd expect from that additive.

I could't get the sample link to work either. If you go to the contact page, and contact them via e-mail is how I got my sample. I dont want to post her e-mail address here, but it is easy to find on the contact us page. HINT HINT.

All they want to know is your potential quantity purchase, name and size of your candle company. :)

That wax sounds really nice! Nooooooooo!!! I will not be tempted, I will not start testing another wax!!! :P

Trish, I was thinking the same thing, but I know I won't be able to resist. It's the nature of the beast, always seeking better!

Hello All. I am new to the board. For the past few weeks, I have just been reading all the wonderful information here. But after hearing about J225, I had to post a reply. I am so excited that I can burst. CandleScents, I can't wait to hear how the J225 turns out for you. I plan to try to order a sample right away.

• 3 weeks later...

I promise I am going to try my sample this weekend. I have been so busy with work, and just got back from Vacation over Labor Day. Have not made any candles in two weeks, But I have to make some this weekend not doubt about it. I will post my results how they turn out. Hopefully there will not be any wet spot's as the ad claims wouldn't that be great!:cheesy2:

Ohh yeah they send you an 11lb slab as a sample so I should get quite a few 8 oz jars out of that to test

I could't get the sample link to work either. If you go to the contact page, and contact them via e-mail is how I got my sample. I dont want to post her e-mail address here, but it is easy to find on the contact us page. HINT HINT.

All they want to know is your potential quantity purchase, name and size of your candle company. :)

HI,,I emailed her and she is sending me a sample,,,,I cant wait to get it,,Thanks for the "hint":yay:

I haven't test burned mine yet...still testing other candles....but I poured last week (friday) and normally by now I have wet spot....NONE!....Only thing is so far...the color is not as bright to me, but I can play around with that if I choose to go with it.

I'll post back when I burn it. I put my favorite scent in there so if it rocks, I'll have to order more for further testing.

I poured some candles with the J225 this past weekend.

1.) NO WET SPOTS so far, they have already turned up on the ones I poured with the J223 but none so far with the J225

2.) It does seem to be harder to color, I really like the way the J223 Colors. But this is not biggie to me.

3.) On Pour Wax? This failed my test. I think my J223 is a better our pour compared to this. With the 8 oz Jelly it sank, and with the 16 oz big sink hole. Normally with the J223 I have no sink with the 8 oz, and with the 16 oz very little, have to flatten with heat gun. But I would not consider this a one pour with my experience.

4.) Scent throw, the Cold Throw I can tell no difference, hot throw cured now for close to 4 days I can not tell a difference either.

The only thing I can see that is a plus on this is the NO WET SPOTS. other than that I really like my 223 better for now.

I just got a case of J223 and it has an awesome cold and hot throw but it sinks some on me I don't have to do a overpour but hate using the heatgun as it isn't just a zap with it like with the J50 I have to really blast it with the heatgun. Has anyone else had this problem? Didn't mean to hijack this thread but thought I'd ask since the J223 was mentioned on here. TIA

I use J223, and I have to blast my 8oz jars with a heat gun IF I pour a little hot. Last night I made Creme Brulee and Cinnamon Buns, and this morning I had no sink holes in either one. Interesting enough, I poured at 150 like always. The only difference is I got the wax from a different supplier this time. HMMM....doubt that has anything to do with it, but for some reason I had no sink holes. Normally, though, I do, and I use the heat gun. This isn't a big deal to me, but for some it might be:)

I just got a case of J223 and it has an awesome cold and hot throw but it sinks some on me I don't have to do a overpour but hate using the heatgun as it isn't just a zap with it like with the J50 I have to really blast it with the heatgun. Has anyone else had this problem? Didn't mean to hijack this thread but thought I'd ask since the J223 was mentioned on here. TIA

HI,,I have had to zap mine with the heat gun too.I pour my pint jars @ 160. I like this wax but its hard to get a nice dark color even with liquid dye.;)

I emailed them for a sample, and they told me this

Thank you for your inquiry of our products. As you may be aware, The International Group, Inc (IGI) recently purchased the Honeywell Wax division. The J225 was a newer product being developed by Honeywell at the time of the purchase. However, it is currently not readily available.

I would suggest working with the Parafflex 4630 product instead. It will have a better price and availability but should give you comparable performance (good fragrance load, one pour characteristics, good adhesion to the jar).

They told me to check local suppliers, and they would not send me a sample. I am really mad.

Early American Candle will send out 2.5# of the J225 but you have to pay for shipping. Also, they have a limited supply of it. I'm waiting on a call back from Astorlite. Why and the heck will you send out samples just to tease me???? Not fair. hahahahaha. I will let you know when I get some answers.