Cream & Lotion Question

celicagtca

Is there a particular reason why my body butters and creams are having this problem?? Once rubbed into the skin...Beautiful, but wait a minute, rub the same spot and it starts peeling off layers of cream or maybe skin...who knows. Could this be to much Ewax, Stearic? Or could it be the "cornstarch" as I'm not using the Dry Flo which is "modified"? I know I get dry in the winter, but it's been over 30 here lately and that can't be the excuse. Only using Mango, Aloe and Shea butters with the usual oils. Any help would be appreciated. :)

I don't think it's your skin unless you are allergic to something, and you'd know it if you started sloughing off skin!

My guess would be that the oils absorb nicely into the skin, while the waxes are left on the surface and then rub off. I've had that happen with some thick commercial creams, but it's been a long time so I don't remember which.

You should keep the cornstarch low. (BTW, dry-flow is cornstarch that has basically be modified to make it not clump, aka Wondra Flour - at least as I understand it).

Thank you for responding and I will make (2) more batches...(1) without the Ewax and (1) with a lower percentage. :) I'll keep you posted with the results.

I am assuming you are using water... if not sorry!

Just wanted to add that if your take the ewax completly out, you still need some type of emulsifier.

If not (as stated before) no need for the ewax or stearic.

Just finished with my butter and am posting my results. :) Yes I am using water with the butters and the oils, so an emulsifier is a must for this recipe. I lowered the Ewax from 11% to 5% and it looks like I have it where I want it. No more crumbling butter! :yay: