Creativity needed! Winner will receive...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something to keep in mind is, that although a foreign word might have a nice ring to it or a nice meaning, will it be something that will make a customer remember it?

If it is a combination of word they are not familiar with, chances are they might forget it. Look it up in the phone book? If it's a foreign language, they might not know how to spell it. That means lost business.

It's possible to use a foreign word or two for a product name or fragrance name. I've seen that done, and sometimes text below it to say what the meaning is in that particular language. I can view that two different ways: 1) It's interesting to learn new things, or 2) the manufacturer is trying to present an upscale or glamorous image, but knows its clientel is not--i.e., treating customers as uneducated, ignorant, or lacking culture.

The bottom line is, you shouldn't give your company a complex name that will require you to explain what it means.

Who want's to eat at Branco Castelo? That means White Castle in Portugese (according to my free internet translator). Of course, since I don't know the language, I don't even know that I put it in proper order, but the point is, who knew you could get hamburgers there?

I'm not saying never use a foreign word, since some of them are commonly used already--primarily in the cosmetic/bath industry. Just be careful using them--use words that are easy to spell and pronounce.

Sockmonkey I think you're right in some sense, but I think it always depends by the name. I suggest two names that are similar to their corrispondent words in english, they are short... "Magia" and "delizia", tho I prefer Magia, I think it's enough similar to the englisj word to let you guess the meaning, but it was only a suggestion, just a way to try to be different.

It's surely easier to have a name that's easy to remember.. but when I see something like "scentsation" or other word morphing.. it's nice, but people may don't spell it right in the same way. Because it sounds in a manner, but it's written in a totally differnt way!

Anyway, we are just brainstorming here, I'm having fun, and I hope Realmarcha will find what she's looking for!

Ciao!

I agree with you Cyber, and I'm not saying foreign words should never be used. Everybody's brainstorming, but I can see from a few suggestions that the original guidelines for naming the company seemed to have been forgotten by some.

Brainstorming is great. One thought might spur another and the next thing you know, you've got the perfect name. I was trying to offer practical advice, not criticize suggestions. I hope it didn't come across otherwise.

Oh, here's something you might like to know...around here we have pizza parlors called "PIZZA MAGIA." I don't think it's regarded too highly, but it uses your favorite word!

Hello all! I need to change the name of my company and need some creative minds to help. My #1 wholesale account is expanding my line and has suggested I change my company name (no big deal, I was going to anyway), so it doesn't sound so "cottage like"...their words.

Requirements:

1. The name is limited to one or two words; prefer one.

2. The name needs to be comtemporary, or modern. It cannot contain a name, such as Sally's, nor anything along the country line names.

3. The shorter the word(s) the better.

4. I use all types of waxes, but am known mostly for my "natural" candle line. Therefore, I do NOT want to limit the name to a particular wax type.

I will send $20.00 through Paypal to the person who submits the name I choose. I will also announce the winner on this thread.

At this time, the creative portion of my mind is "zero"! My Hubby just lost his job and all my concentration is going towards figuring out what in the world we are going to do. Thank God, Hubby is close to retirement age, and has been offered a Buyout. Without these positive aspects, I would have NO mind whatsoever!

Thanks for your participation and help!

Edited: A bit more info as requested. I manufacture: jar candles, votives, pillars, tarts, soaps, body mist, sachets, and body butter.

I understand what your saying. My customers told me they wanted the same thing. A one or 2 word name so I came up with Candele. I wanted something different but that would stick out. Candele means candles in portugese. I wanted a foreign word but nothing ridiculous. So I went to alta fish translate and kept typing words to see what they would be in another language. Candele is the closest I came that sounded fine and my customers love it.

Qualité (means quality in French)

Sens (means senses in French)

Perfetto (means perfect in Italian)

Fuoco (means fire in Italian)

Città (means city in Italian)

Sogno (means dream in Italian)

I could go on and on...

And some English ones:

Burning Passions

Candlurbia

Prominence

I agree with you Cyber, and I'm not saying foreign words should never be used. Everybody's brainstorming, but I can see from a few suggestions that the original guidelines for naming the company seemed to have been forgotten by some.

Brainstorming is great. One thought might spur another and the next thing you know, you've got the perfect name. I was trying to offer practical advice, not criticize suggestions. I hope it didn't come across otherwise.

Oh, here's something you might like to know...around here we have pizza parlors called "PIZZA MAGIA." I don't think it's regarded too highly, but it uses your favorite word!

uhmmm yes, some guidelines have been put apart, anyway I did not get offended by your words, and I know a foreign language can be tricky for you.. not for us, LOL, we need to learn a foreign language!!!

That Pizza Magia sounds nice!

I understand what your saying. My customers told me they wanted the same thing. A one or 2 word name so I came up with Candele. I wanted something different but that would stick out. Candele means candles in portugese. I wanted a foreign word but nothing ridiculous. So I went to alta fish translate and kept typing words to see what they would be in another language. Candele is the closest I came that sounded fine and my customers love it.

:)Candele means candles in italian also!

My new business name has the words "candele e profumi", "candles and scents", because I make candles, airfreshener, tarts.. and I want to keep a door opened because in the future I would like to do some bath and body products!

maybe this could be an idea too!

NatureLites.com is available! With the "s"

(NatureLite.com is not)

This one reminds me of beer....could be because theres a beer called Natural Lite the budweiser makes ..........I drink this beer , could be why it comes to mind ??..heheh

Deana

Rage

Gentle Spirit

Temptation

Soft Spirit

Quests

Rave

Zeal

Consolation

Milestone

Paramount

Premier

KuOz

Tribe

Tribute

(ok, I named my company "YES "...did you think I would suggest ScentualEssenceofIlluminations?:laugh2: ) NOT that there is ANYTHING wrong with that if someone suggested it OR has named their company that:lipsrseal I like it short, sweet and positive.

Hello all! I need to change the name of my company and need some creative minds to help. (sniped for length by Sunshine :) )

OK - we've all had our creative juices flowing - and not that I'm trying to put pressure on anyone... but when does this contest end?? Are you likeing what you see?? Feedback is the food of brainstorming... ;) I'm just curious... oh and have I mentioned before that I'm not a very patient person! lol Whatchya thinking, realmarcha??

Life & Light!

Tish

PS - You guys did a great job coming up with names! I know who I'm going to when I get stuck! ;)

Hello Everyone!

Sorry for not getting back to my "name game", but things are pretty hairy around here due to Hubby losing his job. :cry2:

I have come up with a name:

Twilight to Sunrise

I know I wanted only one or two words, but while talking to a friend, and the wholesale buyer this is the name that stuck. I am using Twilight for the candle part of my company and Sunrise for the Bath & Body. We brought the two products together using Twilight to Sunrise. What is nice about the name is on the candle labels I only need to use "Twilight" and on the Bath & Body products "Sunrise".

I almost went with Joli, but after researching it online and all the hits this name gets, plus the unavailability of website choices, I felt my little company would get lost in the Joli shuffle. It is just to close to the actress' name and other products listed online.

I want to thank everyone for participating in this little venture of mine. You will never now how much I appreciate it...it sure did help to get the creative juices flowing. The "Creative Bunch" for sure!

:wave: Thanks again!