Okay Ladies I'm ready to take the Plunge!!

ladysj

After many months and months of reading and studying and seeing the beautiful creations I'm ready to make my first soap. I would like to know the best and least expensive place to get my lye and oils from. I'm so excited I can't wait. :whoohoo:

locally, if you can get 'em somewhere. They say there's lye at Lowe's I think it was (I got mine through a private coop.) Some of the oils, or most, can be found at Wal-Mart or a good grocery store. Otherwise, there are coops going on in the classys. Check 'em out and see if you like the price.

Thanks Scented I'll also check out the coop's

I don't have a Lowe's any where near me. I wonder if Home Depot carries the lye? I have found the coconut oil at Wild Oats so that would save me on the shipping.

You can get a lot of good oils just at your grocery stores and health food stores. My grocery store (ShopRite) has soy, shortening (Crisco), lard, sunflower, canola.... plenty to get you going. Whole Foods has castor oil, palm oil (solid, in a tub, Spectrum brand) and some others. You can also get tiny bottles of castor at drug stores (you generally don't need much so it's enough to get a batch or two done).

my Ace Hardware still carries lye.. I bought about 10 bottles last time and they still have more...

from what I understand you can get a lot of oils from Super Walmart also - I think someone has said they carry coconut oil...

I have a health food store that carries shea & mango butter - it's a lot more expensive than ordering.. but I bought a little when I first started.. didn't know if I was going to stick with it so I didn't want to order a lot...

you are going to be so addicted.. !

have fun !!!

I buy all my lye at Ace Hardware...it is like $3.50 for a 16oz jar. I wish I could find some of the PKO, Palm and Apricot, Almond and avocado oils locally. Wally carries the coconut, safflower and I get my Olive at a resturant supply. Oh and wally has castor in 4oz bottles too. The mango, cocoa and shea I just ordered off a coop and can't wait till it gets here so I can play with it. Making soap is very addicting!