Flutterbye - rustic container ideas!

Yesterday's thread on getting a "frosty" look in containers got me thinking. I had a new FO to test, so I figured why not play around with the Candlewic 2530H I've had lying around and try out a few different looks. All these are poured in tumblers 2 3/4" across at the top and wicked with LX 12 (just a guess).

This one is made with just straight 2530H and 5% FO, poured at 180 into warmed glass. I have to say, this is my favorite "rustic" look even though it's a mottle. I haven't burned it yet, but so far this seems like a really nice low MP mottling paraffin. I like this candle as it is, but another thing I'd try is adding just enough stearic to get a partial mottle instead of 100%. There are some photos of that in Candlewic's PDS for the wax and it looks really nice.

post-710-139458405839_thumb.jpg

This one is similar to the previous, but instead of Vybar it has 10% stearic acid and it's poured about 5 degrees warmer into room temperature glass. I thought the stearic would give it a slightly different look and it does, though it's not night and day. I think I prefer this one though, except I would pour it at the same temp as the Vybar version because the jump lines didn't totally work out. One advantage of the Vybar version is that you can easily adjust the additive for much higher FO loads.

post-710-139458405842_thumb.jpg

Top just how many hours do you have in your day? & if you can spare some please can I have them? ;)

Your workshop must be super organised!

Oh btw I love that pottery candle & the others are cool too.

Sally.

Interesting test Top. Really like the pottery version. Guessing that one had no vybar or stearic.
That's right. The one in the crock is straight wax and fragrance just like the mottled one in the tumbler. The other two are about the jump lines like the Pier 1 candle we were discussing in the other thread. http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28664

I haven't tried it yet but my conclusion about using this wax for mottling is that it needs some amount of stearic to mottle just a little less and hold scent better. I think it would look more attractive and burn better with a little fine tuning.

The one with 10% stearic has enough to kill the mottle, which was the idea, but 4-5% in the mottled candle might be good.

I really like the first mottle! Looks very interesting in the jar. I poured my 4045H into a jar with no additives(except FO) and got a very interesting look of frost on the sides and mottle on the top. But the repour kinda ruined the look with the obvious line on top.The allover mottle looks great though. Definatly going to order some of that wax. Thanks for your experementing. Very interesting. Did you ever get any problems with "sweating"?

I really like the first mottle! Looks very interesting in the jar. I poured my 4045H into a jar with no additives(except FO) and got a very interesting look of frost on the sides and mottle on the top. But the repour kinda ruined the look with the obvious line on top.The allover mottle looks great though. Definatly going to order some of that wax. Thanks for your experementing. Very interesting. Did you ever get any problems with "sweating"?
With no additives the mottled jar does get some droplets on top as it finishes setting up. Within a day or two they get reabsorbed and dry up. Not necessarily a concern if you're going for a rough-hewn look, but I would try it with some stearic and see how that comes out.

I didn't follow the rule myself this time, but you're really supposed to stay within the original pour level to avoid that line around the top. The second pour shouldn't go to the edge.

Since we're talking "rustic" looks, I'm well aware a plain tumbler doesn't quite fit the bill. I think the mottled wax looks very much at home in pottery, don't you? I really like this even though you can't see the sides.

OK that's the last one.

I like this one! Can I have it, pretty please?;)