No more lye!!

mysticglow

I only have enough lye to make one batch of soap. :cry2: I just went to Lowe's to buy more and they no longer carry Lye!!!:angry2: This is the only place local I have been able to find it. I have been looking online at some of my regular suppliers and none of them carry lye. The chemistry store is the only place I have found it. Where else online can I buy lye?:rolleyes2 TIA, Judy

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Supplies To Die For has it. I thought most grocery stores carry lye. Usually right by the Draino stuff.

Nope, at least not here. I've been to WalMart, Lowe's, Bi-Lo, Kroger.....and NO LYE!!! What's up with that!!! I need to make soap. I need my lye. :mad:

I just bought a bunch from Sarahs' Spa Creations - she shipped pretty fast :) I've lost all my local suppliers too :(

I was so upset when they told me that they no longer carry it. I was all set to make soap this weekend. Thanks for the supplier. The price is much better at Sarahs' Spa Creations. :cheesy2:

I guess I'm lucky then that they have it here at my grocery store, cuz I live in a little poe-dunk town that usually doesn't have much of anything, especially when you NEED it. :rolleyes2

I'm sorry you're going through soaping withdrawls, I'll keep my fingers crossed that you find some tomorrow at the tractor store (I had not even thought of trying that, we must hav three of those here).

If I could send you some through the computer I would. ;)

I still get to make one batch. :cheesy2: I'm hoping TSC has it. If not, guess I'll work on something else.

I guess I'm lucky then that they have it here at my grocery store, cuz I live in a little poe-dunk town that usually doesn't have much of anything, especially when you NEED it. :rolleyes2

I'm sorry you're going through soaping withdrawls, I'll keep my fingers crossed that you find some tomorrow at the tractor store (I had not even thought of trying that, we must hav three of those here).

If I could send you some through the computer I would. ;)

I cannot get it locally here either. I was told because of the meth problem :rolleyes2 stores no longer carry it on their shelves. I have to get mine at TDF. Ace hardware carries it online.

That's the same reason they gave me. Meth!!!!:lipsrseal

I haven't started soaping yet because I wasn't sure if I could find lye around here, but I have found it several places, County Market (local grocery), and the feed mill. Haven't been too many other places to look for it, but at least I found it right here in town. I hope they don't get rid of it before I even start soaping!

Steph

I buy mine in large quantities, 25kg bags from a soap and candle supplier about an hour and a half away. I have to pic it up, they will not ship it. Here, not only is it hard to find, its horribly expensive, $9.99 for 9oz, $13.99 a pound. Guess they figure they can make Meth unaffordable too. From the supplier i get it for about $2.00 a pound. You might want to try chemical warehouses too if you make enough soap to warrent a large quantity, I like knowing I wont run out for a LONG LONG time :)

I bought lye at the local Kroger grocery store and they no longer have it. Neither does our local stores or Wal-mart.

It doesnt help that our county is the meth capital of the U.S and the law enforcement is cracking down on the ingredients. :-(

I guess i could try that sarah's soap creations. Anyone have a link?

I bought lye at the local Kroger grocery store and they no longer have it. Neither does our local stores or Wal-mart.

It doesnt help that our county is the meth capital of the U.S and the law enforcement is cracking down on the ingredients. :-(

I guess i could try that sarah's soap creations. Anyone have a link?

Here you go Heather. :)

http://www.sarahsspacreations.com/supplies.asp

Sarah's prices are pretty good - even though shipping was as much as the lye, it's reduced my lye cost from .21/ounce to .15/ounce, and reduced the cost on a bar of soap by .03 :) My local chemical store was a little bit cheaper, but it was a powder-like lye that came in 50# bags and I didn't want to deal with it - Sarah's packaging is nice to work with I hear.