Carbon build up on jar? last post posted

Ok, well my first candle was very nice when i poured it. But I now know it has to small of a wick for the size ( 16 oz apothary). I used a cd-16 in it. Anyway was test burning my second candle, and I love the cold / hot throw from it and it even has a full melt pull that is 2/3 ' deep. Only problem with it is it mushrooms. I mean it's not the end of the world if thats my only worry, but... (zx-30 wick) I would love to perfect the wick befor I go and really test out FO's and colors for the candles. I'm in the process of testing a candle tommmoro with a cd-20 in it. I also well make a candle tommoro with a 60-44-18 wick in it. but with the wax I'm using (J223) and the jar which is 4in in diameter. Do ya'll have any advice that would help my process move smoother? just wondering if I could pick your brains.

Well my suggestion is you're wasting time if you're testing without FO and color if you plan to add that, two things which can affect the wicking in the future. So why not go ahead and test, besides you're going to be wanting to make sure an FO is going to throw in your wax, with your wick combo. JMO ;)

Dont' worry, I am testing FO / Dye. it would be a waste just wax / wick :) gotta find perfect colors, and FO's for the wick. Tho... I need to find a prime wick because even tho I testing diff wicks with FO's / Dyes, I'm still going have to settle with one and testing with it in multiple FO's so I can + / - the % ect.. just asking for advice. You have no Idea how much time I've spent last 3 weeks reading this dam forum. went threw the most recent to 60 pages ago of information and multiple specefic searches. Honestly MOST of the basic information for candlemaking is answered. but theres always questions that can be asked :grin2:

I found out so far, my Cinimon color is two dark. Umm I created a decent resemblance for the Bannana Nut Bread (3 drops Burnt orange, 2 Golden yellow, 1 black ) might try (2 Burnt orange, 1 G yellow and 1 black) and my Junniper Breeze has a niice light earthy look to it. I'm leaning toward the ZX-30, because the only thing I've noticed was the mushroom. Not that I'm settleing with it but it's a good wick to start playing with FO's. I can always do me R&D in the future. but I well finish testing the 2 other types I have. and come up with a conclusion.

Do I understand this right:

You want to find and use one specific wick size for your container, and then test FO's and adjust the % of oil up or down so that that one wick size works for all your oils? Like maybe using 6% of one FO, but reducing another FO down to maybe 3% so it will work with said wick?

I think you might be quite disappointed in that case.

You must be willing to either:

....settle for only using certain FO's that burn correctly at a predetermined %, say the standard 6%, and if at that 6% the burn is not acceptable you don't carry it (no matter how much you want to or like the fragrance. This can severely limit your selection).

or

...you settle for adjusting your FO% (up) or more likely down until the correct burn is achieved. In this case, your throw will probably suffer greatly.

Either scenario is far less than ideal. It's simply unrealistic to expect to use the same wick for all oils. As the second example indicates, it may be possible, but the quality (namely the scent throw) of your candle will suffer. J223 is a great wax, but the apoth's are a large diameter. To limit yourself to only one wick is kind of cutting your own throat, IMO.

Oils vary immensly. I use a J223/soy blend, and there are some oils that I double wick with (2) eco-2's and they're almost too hot, then there's others that I can't burn with anything less than (2) eco-8's.

You are researching, and thinking it through, kudo's for that!! Just don't limit yourself thinking that it may be an easier way to go. HTH. :grin2:

Thank you for that enlightenment. The Cd-20s are working well (full melt pull) and the right depth. and the same with the Lx-30s. Currently I'm estimating 80 hours with the lx-30s and 60 hours with the cd-20s ( mind you it's aprox 13.9 oz's going into the 16 oz jar). For some reasson tho I can't come to my self for doublewicking not that I am lazy, more so the thought of it. I WILL make a dam good 16oz with a wick. just going to take some time. Could you explain the relationship between the FO putting out hot throw with diffrent temps? hope I make sense.

I have concentrated on the two wicks with the candles, both diff FO's bout the same dye in each. Both threw nice cold and hot. but 15-20 hours in each I've noticed one has built up black on the top of the apothary jar, is this normal. I've noticed the same thing on a yankee candle... I'm still liking the CD wick I have going on. small mushrooming, but it's working where it need to.

I use the 16 oz apoth,and J50 wax.I double wick.I have never found a wick that I could use just one ,wish I could.I use zinc wicks,and differance sizes for differant fo's.Anywhere from 44-24 to 51-32's.You just have to test each fo,and see which ones works best.

Dont' worry, I am testing FO / Dye. it would be a waste just wax / wick :)

Actually, it would NOT be a waste to test just wax without FO and/or color. I think its especially important to do this when choosing a wax itself. Especially with soy or parasoys, different waxes will contribute to mushrooming differently in and of themselves. Adding FO and/or dye will just exacerbate it.

today I powerburned the candle with the lx-30 wick for 12 hours so far. It has had awsome scent throw, a full melt pool of course with it being (just checked it) 3/4 inch deep. I honestly can't complain with it being only one wick. of course it has a small mushroom but nothing out of control. The scent I'm using with it is strong in my opinion ( bannana nut bread) today I made a more nutural scent with the same wick (juniper breeze) so we'll see. I really like how it has burned. but on the same note, I've consulted with my mother to bring up the idea of tester in her company (she works with probally 100 other mid aged females) which would be a perfect testing market, there all nice ladies. Figure tommro I'll let them fill out a sheet asking there top three year round scents and also if they perfer single or double wicked jars ( my thoery with that is people as a whole are lazy, simple things are at best. even tho it might not be somthing major just have to deal with two flames instead of one, it still could be an impact in the market. plus people are more accustomed to lighting just one wick in a candle (blame yankee) ) anyway just informing ya'll what I've been up too. and would like to acknoledge of the members of this board for being such a help to everyone who is new. ( I've read 100 threads in the general candle making section) and I've noticed alot of paitance from the vertern members. anyway keep being helpful. johnny b...