Getting the frost look in containers

Maybe someone out there has achieved this and can help me... I'm trying to get a frosted kinda rustic look in my container candles. You know, kinda how Pier 1 does theirs. I'm using J223, and have tried adding stearic, chilling jars, and pouring at 125 degrees(which gives me the texture I want, but no frost) I know it's possible because I see lots of these. Does anyone have any suggestions?? Thanks!

The Pier 1 near me closed so I may not get around to looking at what you're talking about. I would think they probably use straight paraffin though, from the sound of it.

One thing that's common is mottled containers. They have a very crystalline look that doesn't much resemble mottled pillars. If you don't think the wax is mottled, you could experiment with additives to find the look you want. A little Vybar 260 will kill the mottle. Maybe a bunch of stearic and pouring cold will get you a frosty rustic look in a container but I haven't tried.

Since you're buying wax from Candlewic anyway you could try one of their low-MP straight paraffins like the 3032 or 2530H.

Sharon, Thats exactly what I'm trying to get in the pic. I have a feeling that I wont get that look with the J223. I may have to try a new wax. The 2530H does give an interesting look and it's a heck of alot cheaper than J223. Does the 3032 require multiple pours? Maybe I'll pour one with my 4045H tonight just for kicks and see if it frosts...

The only thing is that 2530h wax is very hard and will really pull away from the jar. I don't know anything about paraffin but J waxes seem to be soft. Maybe mix them together. With soy when you pour hot you get frosting. Maybe mix a batch of 50/50 J223 & 2530h get jar very cold. Pour hot but only a little at a time and don't break that jar. Let the sides set up and pour again making sure the jar is cold. Listen to me telling you how it might be done. Really I have no idea how to get this look.

Sharon, Thats exactly what I'm trying to get in the pic. I have a feeling that I wont get that look with the J223. I may have to try a new wax. The 2530H does give an interesting look and it's a heck of alot cheaper than J223. Does the 3032 require multiple pours? Maybe I'll pour one with my 4045H tonight just for kicks and see if it frosts...
Yup, any straight paraffin will need a second pour. In fact you can see the repour line in the photo. What does the surface of the candle look like? If the frost is only on the side I think what you're seeing is just jump lines. Like BIGCAT says you can get that just by pouring straight paraffin cool. 120 doesn't sound right though because the MP of the wax is 125-130. I'd guess something like 135-140 into room temperature glass might do the trick.

SHAME on Pier One for selling out so cheap! They SHOULD be doing better than that, and WERE not THAT long ago...what are they KMart, Target, Walmart...ewwwwwwwwwww I didn't mean to hijack here..just been awhile since I have been in Pier One and had no idea they were selling candles for pennies. Are they importing these from China?

SHAME on Pier One for selling out so cheap! They SHOULD be doing better than that, and WERE not THAT long ago...what are they KMart, Target, Walmart...ewwwwwwwwwww I didn't mean to hijack here..just been awhile since I have been in Pier One and had no idea they were selling candles for pennies. Are they importing these from China?

I was just thinking the same thing. No way I would sell a 4X6 pillar for $16 :laugh2: