When grinding up oatmeal for soap.......???

Michi

I'm grinding up some oatmeal for a "scrubbie" M&P soap recipe, and I'm wondering how it's supposed to look/feel??

I have done it already, but some of it is really really powdering, and then there is some more "chunky" pieces in it. Is this the way it's supposed to be?

I'm just wondering what all that powdery oatmeal is going to do in the soap? Is it going to make it all mushy like when you make oatmeal cereal? :eek:

I don't want to put it in my soap, if someone has an answer for me, otherwise I'll just try it and see, and hope I don't waste all the ingredients and have "oatmeal cereal sudsy bars" LOL

If you are making a "scrubby" soap bar, that is exactly how you want it to be. You want some larger bits to show. A word of caution don't pour hot...your oatmeal will settlle to the bottom of the mold. Even the powdery oatmeal. Pour at about 90-100 degrees. Keep stirring the MP slowly to keep the oatmeal suspended in your pour pot, and to keep a skin from forming.

Now even if all your oatmel goes to the bottom of the mold it is not the end of the world...the soap will look tike you meant it to be that way especially if you are calling it a "scrubby".:wink2:

HTH

Mary Lou:cool2:

are you making MP??

another hint... after melted and scented to your liking.. add oatmeal and stir.. let it sit until a skin forms on the top of soap, stir again.. let a second skin form and stir again.. then pour.. otherwise all your "scrubby" large peices will sink to the bottom....

Ok Anna, I'm trusting you that I won't end up with "soapy cereal bars" LOL
;)

Off to go make it........ wish me luck!
:D

Yep, it's M&P (goat's milk) :)

Ok, so if I want my soap to be a "scrubby" soap throughout, I stir and stir until it cools enough to keep the oatmeal suspended, and if I want a soap that is a scrubby on one side and just soap on the other, I let it sink right? ;)

Lunchtime got in my way, so I haven't done it as of yet, but I've got all my ingredients sitting out on the counter waiting for me.

I'll let you know how it turns out in a bit, thanks for your help both of you.

ya got it. sometimes i do leave a scrubby side on purpose.. the scrubby side lasts a good long time too..

Yep, it's M&P (goat's milk)
:)

Ok, so if I want my soap to be a "scrubby" soap throughout, I stir and stir until it cools enough to keep the oatmeal suspended, and if I want a soap that is a scrubby on one side and just soap on the other, I let it sink right?
;)

Lunchtime got in my way, so I haven't done it as of yet, but I've got all my ingredients sitting out on the counter waiting for me.

I'll let you know how it turns out in a bit, thanks for your help both of you.

Actually both look great. If you want the two sided look don't let it cool pour as soon as you put in the oatmeal and fragrance if you are using any. You will have a beautiful two sided soap.

I agree if you are using fragrance OMH is awsome in this soap. You

Have Fun:cheesy2: .

Mary Lou

Well, so far so good. I made one pound of it with 1/2 t. of tea tree oil which is an antiseptic and is supposedly good for acne/pimples, but it has a very strong odor and I could still smell it a bit over the OMH FO. :(

BUT, I found out that my bar mold holds more than one pound of soap (about a pound and a half) so I made up another 1/2 pound batch, withOUT the TT oil just to see.

The first batch I waited until the soap was cooler, but the second batch (just two bars) I poured immediately, so I'm anxious to see the difference. ;)

Thanks again for all your help everyone.

Yes, I just bought that OMH (from WSP) from the classifieds b/c everyone kept raving about it, and now I can say I totally agree, it smells good enough to eat. :D

I'm excited to try it, I know from cleaning my pour pot, that it lathers really well, but since I basically poured everything into the mold, I really didn't have enough to feel it, KWIM?

Oh, and I just have to tell you that I did put a little cinnamon into the mix, to give a bit more color, and there is a story behind this but I'll put it in another post, cuz I want everyone to read it, it's sooo cool. :D