melt pool diameter

How quickly do y'all get a full melt pool? I guess a better question would be what are your expectations for the full melt pool. I noticed yesterday testing new candles that on the first 4 hr burn it takes almost the full 4 hrs and the next burn it didn't take that long. Anyway, what are your expectations?

I'm still new and can't really give any advice yet but some advice that was given to me was to keep testing that same candle all the way down. I was testing 2 different size wicks and not until the 4th burn did I know which wick to go with in that series. I'm still testing out wicks though to determine which series I like the best. Good luck to you!

I'm still new and can't really give any advice yet but some advice that was given to me was to keep testing that same candle all the way down. I was testing 2 different size wicks and not until the 4th burn did I know which wick to go with in that series. I'm still testing out wicks though to determine which series I like the best. Good luck to you!
Absolutely test them all the way down. Always. How a wick burns up at the top of a container with unobstructed air flow may be completely different than how it burns down deep in a container when air flow gets more restricted, and heat from the flame is more contained.

I have 16oz. apoths that may take 3-4 hours to reach a fmp in the beginning, but by the time I'm way down in the jar, it may only take an hour. It's not over wicked at all, the trapped heat simply contributes to the melting.

Having said that, how an apoth like that burns compared to a straight sided container may be totally different. That's why it's very important to test your wicks all the way down. HTH.