Gb 402 & 415

Funny you should ask! :laugh2:

The 402 is probably more like the 464 than 415. 415 is definitely a higher MP and harder wax.

I have been mixing the two in various percentages with USA to get a blend that I can pour hot, and hopefully avoid any pitfalls that come with variations between batches. I can't tell you my specific blend, 'cause then I'd have to send my hit squad out and have you sleeping with the fishes :P but if play around with a 402/415 blend that is mostly 415 and has a little USA you'll have a pretty decent wax that you can pour as hot as 150, and only need to zap with a heat gun to smooth out the top.

I must be off! geek

Thank you Geek. I'm a C3 user currently but about to run out of my supply and thought I might sample another wax. I friend recommended 402 & has had much success and didn't know if 415 was a replacement for 402 or something. Very interesting about the mix of the two. So if there is more 415 I would venture to say 60/40 or 70/30 blend?? Am I close? LOL. Can you at least tell me what kind of wick you like to use with it? What is US?? I'm a newbie so sorry for all the questions.

Hi Geek. I've been mixing the KY115 (not sure who makes it but it is supposed to be a lower melt soy) and a hard to melt batch of 415. Trouble is, I don't think the throw is as good. Think it is my nose or does this happen with your blend too? I might not be letting it cure long enough, but 48 hrs. seems like it should do it. When the 415 works, it seems to give off the best throw of any of my test waxes. Beth

I am getting mine right now in the form of EZSoy from Bittercreek South, and my wick of choice is HTP. KY Puresoy is just as good, but the shipping on the EZSoy is less. I wish we had a local DFW supplier for 415, I'd be a happy camper. So many suppliers locally and not one carries 415....there ought to be a law against that, LOL! :D

Candle Soylutions sells Enchanted Lites soy, which is not 415. Yes, EZsoy is 415 soy. I played around with several waxes before settling on one. I always encourage someone to buy 2 or 3 different kinds of waxes to try on before deciding. What works for one person doesn't always work for someone else. Good luck on your wax testing. :D

Hi Geek. I've been mixing the KY115 (not sure who makes it but it is supposed to be a lower melt soy) and a hard to melt batch of 415. Trouble is, I don't think the throw is as good. Think it is my nose or does this happen with your blend too? I might not be letting it cure long enough, but 48 hrs. seems like it should do it. When the 415 works, it seems to give off the best throw of any of my test waxes. Beth

I do get very good results from 415 and BW but I hate waiting to pour, and I can't pour it hot without getting air pockets. I'm testing six fall holiday FOs with the new blend and then will compare to 415/BW. What I like with the blend is that the 402 softens up the 415 enough to allow me to single wick the 3 1/2" keepsake jar, where I have to double wick the 415/BW.

geek

Thank you Geek. I'm a C3 user currently but about to run out of my supply and thought I might sample another wax. I friend recommended 402 & has had much success and didn't know if 415 was a replacement for 402 or something. Very interesting about the mix of the two. So if there is more 415 I would venture to say 60/40 or 70/30 blend?? Am I close? LOL. Can you at least tell me what kind of wick you like to use with it? What is US?? I'm a newbie so sorry for all the questions.

You are close with the 60/40 but you have to include the USA (universal soy additive) too. I'm currently testing Premier 700 and CDs. The HTPs mushroom too badly and are making the wax smell like burned wick.

Don't worry about being a noob, we were all noobs at one time. :)

geek

If you're a c3 user currently, you could mix a percentage of that with the 415, smooths out them tops so you can pour hot and shortens cure time, best of both, great throw too, just a thought, have tested it and it works for me pretty good, pour above 150 and it's nice and smooth, only a few shots from the heat gun needed, (about 1/ 10 candles) and even then it's not bad.

I might be doing something wrong, but my bw/415 testing went like crap. The tops looked bad even after cooling and looked like a mottled brain after burning, i also didn't notice it helping throw or much of anything, (and I REALLY wanted it to, as I have tons of bw)... I tried pouring cold/hot, etc.... just didn't work for me, hope if you test geek you get better results, I will leave the bw work to the pros!:D

I might be doing something wrong, but my bw/415 testing went like crap. The tops looked bad even after cooling and looked like a mottled brain after burning, i also didn't notice it helping throw or much of anything, (and I REALLY wanted it to, as I have tons of bw)... I tried pouring cold/hot, etc.... just didn't work for me, hope if you test geek you get better results, I will leave the bw work to the pros!:D

I kind of have the same problem. When I first pour, I get fairly smooth tops, but after each of the first 3 burns, I get really bad cauliflower tops. If I can get the wicks to last through those burns, the tops will be smooth with the rest of the burns. I'm wondering if I should try more BW, but I'm already using 4%. I've also considered using parrafin, do you think I could get buy with as little as 10%? Also, does parrafin or anything else out there soften soy wax?

I kind of have the same problem. When I first pour, I get fairly smooth tops, but after each of the first 3 burns, I get really bad cauliflower tops. If I can get the wicks to last through those burns, the tops will be smooth with the rest of the burns. I'm wondering if I should try more BW, but I'm already using 4%. I've also considered using parrafin, do you think I could get buy with as little as 10%? Also, does parrafin or anything else out there soften soy wax?

I don't think you can really control how the tops look after burning unless you use paraffin in place of any other additive. If you want to use just enough to smooth out the tops and pour hot, 20% paraffin works. Typically 30% is the most used percentage. Also BW and paraffin don't play well together. Paraffin doesn't necessarily soften the wax but it does in practice allow you to use smaller wicking than straight soy.

geek