Dyes For Soy

Who has some good ones that u can get a true color out of it? I have been using some from The Candle Source but they only have a limited selection. Looking for more colors. Hope someone can offer some help.

TIA

Chauna

Hi, getting the right color is very tricky, even good quality liquid dyes don't give true colors unless you mix them with other colors.

I get true orange color if I add red with the orange, or apple green color comes out perfect if you add yellow to green!

Sorry can't help with what you're after, IMO liquid dye is better although expensive! Try Bcreek though.

HTH...

~marie:)

Kaybee,

All I can say is this :laugh2:

Chauna

I need different suppliers that cater to Soy. I have tried some that do not work well in soy. Such as Burgundy. I must have made it 3 or 4 times and it still did not come out burgundy. I know Peaks has good dye but they are so far away for me and the shipping would be outrageous. Any suppliers on the east side of the country?

TIA

I've not tried them yet but have read others rave about the dyes from BarnLoft Candles. Daphne has been a chandler for years and has been pouring soy for a long time. I'm pretty sure ChrisR that posts here has been using them with excellent results...in fact if you read the testimonials she is first on the list. I'm planning to order in the near future...especially interested in the darkest shades.

Maggie

I got a perfect burgundy at http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7706&highlight=disclosure#9

I'm sure there must be easier ways. The basic burgundy chips should be fine also - may have some residue though that you'll have to leave in the pot.

You probably are having issues because of the soy itself - its just takes more dye than paraffin to achieve the same color, plus its very opaque - so its never going to look the same - basically no depth at all.

Some parasoys are even more opaque that others - for example, 70/30 is a bit more opaque than Joy wax and some soys just take color a bit easier (like the CBA in that picture).

You probably are having issues because of the soy itself - its just takes more dye than paraffin to achieve the same color, plus its very opaque - so its never going to look the same - basically no depth at all.

I think that's relative, too.

I've just started dinking around with color, and bought a couple of liquids from CandleScience. I'm getting great saturation with just 4-6 drops per pound (GB444), but it seems to be doing something to the hot throw, even at that low amount.

More testing is of course required now. :)

Straight paraffin is transluscent - straight soy is not. The same amount of dye in both will take on a different look as the light is reflecting differently.

Like this - same wax batch, same color, same amount, same type. Just added a couple grams of vybar to one - looks completely different, much more opaque, lighter, add much less depth (ignoring the mottle). If you took a pillar soy and a pillar paraffin - it would be the same thing - even without the additive.

Thats what I was getting at :)

post-98-13945840576_thumb.jpg

I have liquid dyes from Pryme, Evo, Peaks and Rustic Escentuals. Rustic is by far the strongest and I like the shades the best. Now get some of KY chips and you can vary the colors to make them darker. Their orange is so bright and a true orange no brown. And the reds are so nice. I am always buying cause someone says this or that place has the best. But I should have stuck with Rustic, which does have an odor but it does not come through to the candle. Evo takes 4x as many drops and has no smell and Pryme well, might as well pour the whole bottle in and it does have a slight smell to it. I use them just to get different shades so they are not going to waste. I usually don't color my soy candles very dark so can't say if you could get a burgandy. I get what I call burgandy with about 4 drops per lb of RE. Good luck...