Underwhelmed by Misty Creek mold

CareBear

I'll try the technique. Or perhaps I could borrow Mark...

I actually use a level for a lot of nonsese around the house (I'm a little obsessive) but never thought to use it on the knife - you would actually only need it going sideways on the knife (assuming the bade really is in the handle at a right angle).

I have a lot of soap balls myself - lately cause I've been trying to stamp my soaps - too light and it doesn't show, too hard and - voila! soap balls!

I have been very impressed with my Misty Creek.

I also slit the paper down to the level of the soap and don't have any problems with the paper pushing down onto the soap( can't remember off hand who told me about that but it works great). It does take a little practice cutting but once you get the hang of it, it works like a dream.

OK, another fan of my Misty Creek mold here... I love that I can divide it to make multiple small batches. I didn't like that the slots were so large either, but they have to be to accomodate the included divider. I had a hard time cutting straight bars the first few times, but it just takes a little practice. Rather than lining it up in the middle of the slot, I use the edge of one side of the slot as a guide for the knife (make sense?) Even with the freezer paper folder over, I use my finger nail to slit down to the soap and haven't had a problem with the paper bunching up.

I've found that using a 4lb batch doesn't make overly large bars and the only real complaint I have is that I've been getting more ashing lately (but that's true for me of any slab mold.) I prefer my log mold, but have been having fun practicing swirls though :)

Good luck Carol!

i used mine and love it. especially the freezer paper thing. ya know it help ya line the mold. i am having a brain fart, cant remember what it is called and am to lazy to walk 10 feet to see. lol but try again after pms has left the building. :D

I got the 16 bar mold, and after it was "delayed" and finally arrived I actually am a bit disappointed.First, I got a splinter from the thing when I was unpacking it. That was not a good start! The wood is neither "polished" nor varnished at all - just lightly sanded at best....

Funny. I thought my emisty mold was beautifully made. Great workmanship. Nicely routed along the sides and sanded. Dusty from sanding so I wiped it with a tack cloth. Cutter had a burr but a knife sharpener smoothed it out.

Bars smallish but very thick (size is listed on the auction). They feel good in my hand.

Mold is unfinished for oven use. I asked about this before purchasing mold. I was worried finish would 'gum up' in the oven.

my 2¢,

donna