Underwhelmed by Misty Creek mold

CareBear

I got the 16 bar mold, and after it was "delayed" and finally arrived I actually am a bit disappointed.

First, I got a splinter from the thing when I was unpacking it. That was not a good start! The wood is neither "polished" nor varnished at all - just lightly sanded at best.

The gaps for the cutter are a bit wide, and so when I cut my first batch it was not evenly cut. I re-read the directiosn which warned of this and said to be sure the knife was centered. Of course my paper lining covered the slots so I can't really do it carefully. On my next batch I cut the paper so I could see the slots, but then instead of slicing down through the paper the cutter just pushed it down and messed up my soft soap totally.

And also the bars are a bit big for me.

Now it could be a bit of PMS and exhaustion after my first week back at work - so I'm going to give it more time, but have to say right now I'm not thrilled.

But maybe I"m just being too negative. I have a batch in there now, and I"m not touching it for 24 hours (well 2 batches, one on each side). By then maybe I'll be in a better mood!

I don't have one of their molds but I do have one that is kinda similar. I unmold my soap, remove the log and kinda let it air dry for awhile, then place it back into the device without paper to cut, I don't know if that will work for your purposes or not since I don't have one of their molds, maybe someone else can chime in. I know what it is like to be frustrated especially after long trying days at work, I'm just about frazzled from my job, and I'm sick on top of it.

Janis Rogers

jansbathscents

That is the reason I refuse to buy a premade mold like that which already chooses your bar size and where to cut. I make my own mold out of wood, and shape it like a rectangular loaf mold. That way I add 2 lbs of oils each time, unmold it, and cut them into 3/4 inch slices. It's super easy. I'm sorry to hear about your disappointment with this mold!

Janis, thanks for the advice - and I sure hope you feel better. (I'm in job heaven lately, but have just been released from job hell - hang in there).

SITC - you are one smart and handy person then! I have the wood-working prowess of an octopus with all thumbs. But at least I can stop my toilet from running! (LOL - family joke)

That is the reason I refuse to buy a premade mold like that which already chooses your bar size and where to cut. I make my own mold out of wood, and shape it like a rectangular loaf mold. That way I add 2 lbs of oils each time, unmold it, and cut them into 3/4 inch slices. It's super easy. I'm sorry to hear about your disappointment with this mold!

Same here! I made 7 three pound log molds from $12 of wood of Home Depot.

Carol, its not that hard really. Find a mold online that has the dimensions that you are looking for, then get some wood in those measurements. You will need a base piece and 4 side pieces, and 12 nails. Voila, you very own mold!

And also the bars are a bit big for me.

Funny that you should say that as they still appear a bit small for me. I have the 18 bar Kelsei and the soap rattles around in the standard soap boxes.

I want DH to make a mold for me modeled on the Misty Creek but with just under the soap box dimensions of 2-3/4 long x 1-3/16 wide x

3-13/16 high. The widest spackle knife is 14" and we'll be working with that as the "cutter" unless someone can come up with something better.

e

I have a mold like the Misty Creek molds that I bought from e-bay and it came with a really long cutter. I love the long cutter but just hate this mold. You can't line it because of the cut out lines or its hard to do and like Carol said, you can't get a straight cut because the lines are wider than the blade. So it's not you Carol. The first time I used it for straight CP soap, it cracked on every side in at least one slit. I contacted the seller but couldn't get a response. Carol, I'm telling that if you don't have a Kelsie, do invest in one. It's my favorite mold. I have wood log molds, slab molds. plastic, round molds and an Uplands but in IMO, none of these hold a candle to my Kelsie. It's worth the investment. :wink2:

Weird how different people can different things out of a mold. I think every mold has it's own positives and negatives. I have made several batches in mine and except for one sliver (that was fixed with a little sand paper), have not had any problems with it. I just line it up, give it a little pop on the ends and it goes right through the paper and slices the soap. It does take a bit of practice. It also has a wood sealer on it, not sure you could put varnish on it and still be able to soap in it. :undecided If you're bars are too big, cut down the recipe for the mold, if you have the 16 bar mold, I use a 4 lb recipe and get nice size bars from it. I found them to be very helpful at Mistycreek, it surprises me that you are having issues with them. Best of luck to you...I would work with it a bit more before you give up on it. :D

Funny that you should say that as they still appear a bit small for me. I have the 18 bar Kelsei and the soap rattles around in the standard soap boxes.

I want DH to make a mold for me modeled on the Misty Creek but with just under the soap box dimensions of 2-3/4 long x 1-3/16 wide x

3-13/16 high. The widest spackle knife is 14" and we'll be working with that as the "cutter" unless someone can come up with something better.

e

E if you ever want to get rid of that Kelsei let me know :D

I'm not giving up on the Misty Creek just yet - it's just that I was so suprised to be a bit disappointed that it all seemed so big. I'll give it more time and see if I can't adjust!

It's still better than my shoe boxes, and much less expensive than a Kelsei, so I'll see if I can't figure it out!

Thanks for all the advice.

E if you ever want to get rid of that Kelsei let me know :D

Julia, mine is not in the best shape. It developed little pressure cracks around all the screws after a short while. I emailed Rita several times about it. She never responded.

e

Well we received our 36 bar mold from Misty Creek and have made our first bath in it...cut it and it did wonderful. Of course my hubby cut it, he has more patience than I do..But we had no problems at all and from what we can tell we are going to love this mold!

It does take practice to cut the bars in the Misty Creek mold. I've got two of the 32 bar molds. My husband can line up that blade perfectly, but I don't do so well. :undecided So I just draft him to do the cutting for me to reduce the waste I produce from straightening the sides of the bars when I have to cut them.

The ease of lining and the size of the bars are what I really like about the mold. Plus the ability to divide it for small batches.

You might like it once you've used it a few times. Don't give up yet! :)

Brenda, with the paper covering the slits, how does he line them up perfectly?

When I cut the paper down so that the slits showed, the knife didn't cut the paper - just pushed it down which mushed my soap.

The cutter does cut nciely through the paper if I have it coming up and over the side, but then I cannot see the slits well enough to line it up just so. I tried slitting it there with a knife but still couldn't see well enough.

I just asked him and Mark says he gets right over the top of the blade and then looks down the right side to make sure the blade is straight up and down.

I've tried this, but am obviously "vertical assurance" impaired! :laugh2:

I do slit the paper down to the level of the soap beforehand for him and leave the masking tape that holds the freezer paper in place while cutting. I peeled it off once before cutting, and boy, was it a mess! :mad:

I've been considering devising a little clamp-on device for the top of the handle for a small bubble-level and using that to see if the blade is vertical. I really hate having to wait for my husband to cut my soaps. This morning he was sleeping and I was wide-awake and cut them myself. I now have 6 large soap balls in addition to slightly smaller bars. :o