Wicking 8oz metro w/ lx and rrd

Haha, thank you for the info...I already poured a 22 before I got a chance to read your post. Give me 20 min. and boom you got another candle! I'll reply more later...we're (the family) are off to a drive-in movie in Ennis, TX, woohoo! One of the very last few around here. Thanks for posting the pic...good guide for me!! What kind of wick is in there btw?

Well I think I'm back to the lx26, haha. After test burn #4 with the lx24 I have no FMP after 5hrs. of burning :( . I did get a FMP within 3hrs. with the 26 and even though it does have a deeper mp at least it's consistant and produces a FMP each time within 3hrs. The 22 is limping along and no FMP after 5hrs so too small. I need something right in the middle of a 24 and 26, haha. Anyhoo, that's my findings so far. Next will be to test the rrd...Henry you try rrd in metro? Can't remember if you said you did or not, sorry. Oh forgot to mention the 26 keeps coming out of the metal tab...that's no good.

Well I think I'm back to the lx26, haha. After test burn #4 with the lx24 I have no FMP after 5hrs. of burning :( . I did get a FMP within 3hrs. with the 26 and even though it does have a deeper mp at least it's consistant and produces a FMP each time within 3hrs. The 22 is limping along and no FMP after 5hrs so too small. I need something right in the middle of a 24 and 26, haha. Anyhoo, that's my findings so far. Next will be to test the rrd...Henry you try rrd in metro? Can't remember if you said you did or not, sorry. Oh forgot to mention the 26 keeps coming out of the metal tab...that's no good.

This is why you should test all the way to the bottom. Strange things can happen mid-late burn. Candle-making is a crazy thing sometimes

Did you trim the 24 wick before burning again? Maybe you trimmed a little short and that's why you're not getting a FMP.

If you want another series to try, you may want to look at the CD wicks. I just started testing with them, but they seem to do well and many other people here use them in soy with good results. :)

I just started trying RRDs so I can't give an opinion one way or another. CDs bend too much for me. (We are using different waxes and wicks do behave differently - sometimes drastically - in different waxes).

Yes, as AngelaVA says (and I did) after you think you have the initial wick(s), then do burn them all the way down, but there is no need to keep wishing that a wick after a few burns at the top of the candle will work if its tunneling, its not going to get any better later on if there is a shell (don't confuse a shell with a bit of hangup) because of "candle memory".

Hi Iam a newbie Can anyone help me .Please can anyone tell me how much fo they use in an 8-oz jelly jar.Been trying to figure different thing out,and its not working right .So my hubby said ask someone How much F Oil inv a8-oz jar.:undecided

I just started trying RRDs so I can't give an opinion one way or another. CDs bend too much for me. (We are using different waxes and wicks do behave differently - sometimes drastically - in different waxes).

Yes, as AngelaVA says (and I did) after you think you have the initial wick(s), then do burn them all the way down, but there is no need to keep wishing that a wick after a few burns at the top of the candle will work if its tunneling, its not going to get any better later on if there is a shell (don't confuse a shell with a bit of hangup) because of "candle memory".

I've been known to take wicks out way to soon and then realize later that the one I used in it's place isn't working and the original one might be best after all, lol. Testing side by side, like you're doing, is also a great way to compare wicks so hang in there.

I tested a few candles with RRD wicks and I like them. I would start with something around an RRD 37. Just taking a guess there.

Hi Iam a newbie Can anyone help me .Please can anyone tell me how much fo they use in an 8-oz jelly jar.Been trying to figure different thing out,and its not working right .So my hubby said ask someone How much F Oil inv a8-oz jar.:undecided

How much Fo you needs depends on what % of oil you want to use. If you are using an 8 oz jj, it will hold about 6 ounces of wax.

6% of 6 oz of wax would be .36.

7% - .42 oz FO.

8% - .48 oz FO.

This is why you should test all the way to the bottom. Strange things can happen mid-late burn. Candle-making is a crazy thing sometimes

Did you trim the 24 wick before burning again? Maybe you trimmed a little short and that's why you're not getting a FMP.

If you want another series to try, you may want to look at the CD wicks. I just started testing with them, but they seem to do well and many other people here use them in soy with good results. :)

Haha...I'm finding that out quickly...who knew you had to figure out its behavior! Yes, I did trim the wick but you maybe right about it getting trimmed to short...not because I tried to do that but the mushroom broke off by just touching it with the scissors and seemed short.

Yes, CDs were next on my list to get a sample pack of, ty!

Yeah, I'm kind of understanding seeing the difference between hang-up and tunneling. Part I'm not sure on is when there is more than a hang-up on the sides (meaning tunneling looking on one side but FMP on the other) if that's considered hang-up or tunneling...thoughts? I think I'll retest the 24 again as I think Angela is right about it getting cut too short and that could be the issue.

Yeah, I'm kind of understanding seeing the difference between hang-up and tunneling. Part I'm not sure on is when there is more than a hang-up on the sides (meaning tunneling looking on one side but FMP on the other) if that's considered hang-up or tunneling...thoughts? I think I'll retest the 24 again as I think Angela is right about it getting cut too short and that could be the issue.

If you have a FMP on one side and wax on the other (b/c the wick curls to one side) I would call that hangup and see if it catches up later down in the jar - generally it will.

Tunneling is where your wick is just too small - either the wick will drown out or it will burn, but leave a huge shell of wax all the way around the wick (every buy a Yankme candle? All the ones I ever bought tunneled like this). Tunneling means you need to wick up. But having hangup doesn't necessarily mean you need to wick up. As you burn farther into the jar, the jar will heat up more and can melt off most, if not all, the hangup. Since most customers tend to marathon burn anyway, I would err on the side of underwicking, rather than overwicking - which can cause your jar to get too hot - as long as the scent throw is still there. Hope this makes sense :)

It can be even more complicated:

Tunneling can also be caused by too LARGE of a wick - it will burn so hot it will just try to consume as much fuel (wax) as it can - right at the wick - and burn straight down. Usually people will put it out because it will smoke excessively also. And you get a bonus - an extra big mushroom because of all that sucked up, but unburned fuel, that deposits on the tip of the wick. Remember what you said about your 26 under your pic? - its contributing, however, the 24 mushroom is looking big also - I'm almost positive that its just your FO and/or amount more so than the wick size. That was your first burn right? See if you get less bad ones on later burns. I have a hunch you may.

Tunneling can also be caused by a PERFECTLY sized wick. Just don't burn it long enough for each time.

BTW, what AngelaVA described is exactly why I don't like the CDs in my particular wax.

Henry I'm back to liking the lx24, lmao!!! After 6.5hrs. on the 4th burn the hang-up on side actually caught up! I was plesantly surprised to see that. We'll see what happens on test burn #5 but the 24 is back in the lead. 26 is still doing fine just a big mushroom on wick compared to the 24 but zero issues getting a fmp each time. I can't wait to hear about your rrd experience...please keep me posted.