For those of you who sell candles

I do wax melts, votives, containers and pillars - so basically everything. You can sell anything as long as you have tested it thoroughly and it burns safely. However, quality is very important, and this is a technique that improves the more candles you make. The main thing is to be patient and not to try and sell before you are 100% sure of your product.

Have fun!!!:D

I tested for almost a year before I started selling. I make containers, pillars, votives and wax melts.... the best way to find out about craft shows is to check your local chamber of commerce or state tourism office. You could also check with the local red cross as they sometimes have craft shows around the holidays.... good luck

I tested for a year or two before selling. You really must know exactly how your candles will behave and feel comfortable selling them to people who will not burn them properly. I offer containers, wickless, tarts, votives and bears. Before selling, you need to think about getting insurance and must have a business license too :)

I researched making my own vs. buying wholesale for a few months - ok about a year - there is a lot of reading to do when you're researching stuff! And this was back in 2000-01 so there weren't as many resources online and you had to dig! I decided to make my own so I got a few different waxes and played with them for about 6 months (I only poured new candles about once a week). Then I decided on a wax that I liked that worked well *most* of the time then I started pouring my beginning line (6 scents) and got them tested for the containers and votives I was going to use (this took about 3 months or so) then I started selling the ones I had and added new ones as I tested them (I started selling at my local farmer's market and did fairly well). All in all, it took me about three years of research and testing before I sold them.

As for craft shows, www.craftlister.com is a good place to start. They have printed directories that I have found time saving and very useful. You can also talk to your neighboring CoC to see about town festivals and such. But the best thing I can say is find a couple to do and talk to fellow crafters. Especially ones that have been doing this for awhile. They are your best leads and can tell you how traffic is. Traffic is your key element, IMHO. Just because they had great sales, doesn't mean you will. They are selling handbags and you sell candles or soaps or whatever. Your market is similar but not the same. Make sense?? In the beginning take it small. I did the mistake of doing shows far away from my house (lodging was expensive to say the least! I've learned to camp in my truck) and my booth price was $300 - plus I rented a trailer to carry all my stuff (for local shows I usually make two trips). All in all I had to make $4000-5000 in three days at a show that I had never done(there were 10 other chandlers there and a soap maker kitty-korner from me!), didn't have any feedback on, and needless to say I didn't make my goal! I've learned my lesson! If I can, I check out the craft show and if it looks good, I'll do it the following year - at least the big buck ones. For little $50-100 shows, I do them and go from there - I can always make back the booth/gas money for the little shows, even if the traffic is smaller.

HTH alittle

Life & Light!

Tish

I tested until I was satisfied I had done the best I could on my candles. I make container paraffin, container soy, paraffin tarts, and soy tarts, mostly. I occasionally do special orders for votives or pillars, but not too often. I mostly stick with the "smell up your room" type of candles. heh heh

Takes time to find good shows and such, but when you do a show, NETWORK with the other crafters to find out good ones. Find out the return rate of vendors; if it's high, you've probably found a good show.

OY! It took me a year and half to make my candles even work right lol

I still remember my first candle...colored with an orange crayon and a block of some kind of wax I don't even remember from JoAnn Fabrics.

ROFL - I can laugh about it NOW, but back then I did alot of crying!! LOL