Festivals

Does anyone vend candles at weekend long festivals?

If you camp at or near your booth where do you keep your products?

The ones I want to attend are too far from home to drive back and restock.

As a festival attendee, I've seen a lot of vendors pack their stuff away in their vehicle at night but you obviously can't do that with candles, right?

I've also seen others just put the 4 walls of their canopy up and sleep in there at night.

Any input is appreciated. :thumbsup:

Ditto what elle said. If I do an 2-day show, there is security. I pop the tent down 2 notches, make sure the sides are secure and go get some sleep. Word of warning - make sure your tent is water proof! That morning dew is a killer on candle labels. I do take all the candles off the carboard risers overnight also - no point in testing their strenght that much!

I always do a couple in the fall that are two day'ers. They provide security though. I am doing a 3 days show thats 70 miles away and we will be spending the weekend sleeping in van. This one is in a building that will be locked at 5'oclock. I have never had a problem(knocking on wood).

I do outdoor festivals and markets all summer long! I have a 10x20 canopy with walls that I use for shelter but I still cover my stuff with old polyester blankets (or tarps if it's supposed to rain overnight). I either camp in my tent (some promoters won't allow it though) or I sleep in my truck near by. I have an air mattress that I sometimes use but it's usually just easier for me to sleep in my reclining lawn chair. I'm one of those people that can sleep anywhere at anytime. Just give me a blanket and a pillow and I'm *out*! :) But before you camp in your booth, make sure to check with your promoter. Sometimes you can get into a lot of trouble if you sleep in your booth! They can even ask you to leave if you get caught! Though most people don't mind if you do.

For those fairs that I don't sleep in my booth (who wants to sleep outside when it's 40*!) but sleep in my truck, I've never had a problem with stealing or anything like that. Even if there isn't "security" the local police usually make a few extra rounds in the area just to be sure. They don't want trouble any more than you do! And for city festivals and the like, there is usually double duty on at night to keep things in order - at least so I've found.

Good luck!

Life & Light!

Tish

I do a local 2-day outdoor show, but since it's close by me, I just take my stuff home at night. I've had 2 cases of candles stolen before, and I just won't risk losing my profits like that. Also, I know of a BUNCH of people who left their tents up overnight at a festival in a suburb of KC. That night a horrible storm ripped through, and it destroyed everyone's tents. They almost ALL had to go get new ones, not to mention the losses they incurred from wind and rain-damaged product. I may be paranoid, but I just don't like taking those kinds of chances. I break down every night and set up each and every day. I'm kind of used to it though -- I do a weekly farmer's market all summer long. Plus I have my family to help -- I hire my kids to help with set up and break down, and we make a pretty good team. :)

LOL I never even *thought* of sleeping in my tent :) I've been tempted to do multi day fairs over on the coast but I didn't want to pay for a hotel. Hmmm, I've got a Cherokee, and I've got plenty of soap, all I'd have to do is find a YMCA or a club for a shower I guess... hmmmm

My Labor Day fair is in town, w/ security, so I leave the tent up at night and just close the front with one of the solid white walls. It's a luxury to have 3 days of sales w/o messing with the tent.

I lay everything down flat and take down the signs, but our Labor Day is pretty storm free.

My other multi day show is in someones house. the only problem there is we have elves that come and shop - when we get there the 2nd morning product is gone and money is left in its place :)