phone # for business

KFTS

First of all, let me state, I'm pretty small time biz here, so I thought I was being pretty smart using my cell phone on my biz cards, business dealings and such. Well, just lately I've been getting solicitation calls on my cell. This is bad enough at home but to have my minutes used on a solicitation call is so irritating. I don't know how they got the #. Just wondering what experiences or advice on this anyone has. I even registered my cell on the Do Not Call registry :undecided

get their name and phone number..THEN Tell them you are on the Do not call registry..keep a log. Even if you get a regular phone at home..it takes so many days to register your # on that registry..I am on it with both cell phones and home phone..and it don't make on darn bit of difference..they still call...and always in the AM or at dinner time.:mad:

I just had three calls in the last hour for credit card machines! The last one I asked where she got my # and she said tax assessors office. Ohhh, that must be it! I just changed my address/phone with them because I moved! I remember I was barraged with calls back when I first signed up as a biz too.

I found out a lot is acquired from your state, as matter of public record I guess.

When I registered my biz name with the state, I also got a PO Box and my tax ID. No one on the face of the planet besides my husband, the postmaster, and the state's office to which I had just sent my stuff, knew of my biz name, yet alone coupled with my PO Box.

Within a week, i was receiving all sorts of offers in the mail for buz forms, cc machines, merchant accounts, custom pencils, etc.

So, they either search public records as a matter of habit to find new additions, or the state sells or hands out the info. Either way, it sucks.

Business phones are not covered under the National Do Not Call Registry.......here's what they say.

"Can I register my business phone number or a fax number?

The National Do Not Call Registry is only for personal phone numbers. Business-to-business calls and faxes are not covered by the National Do Not Call Registry."

I called the tax office and had them change the cell number to my home number. She also mentioned changing it to "for their eyes only". not sure if that meant solicitors couldn't get the number anymore? Dunno. As far as a business number, that area gets kind of gray with us home crafters doesn't it? It is my personal cell phone. I don't have a separate business line. If my cell will be considered a business line then I'm sure as heck gonna write off my cell phone bill on my taxes next year! :tongue2:

I just had three calls in the last hour for credit card machines! The last one I asked where she got my # and she said tax assessors office. Ohhh, that must be it! I just changed my address/phone with them because I moved! I remember I was barraged with calls back when I first signed up as a biz too.

That happened to me too and none of them seems to have spoken any English.