Candle parties????

scntdwik

I would set it up the same way a pampered chef party is set up...with your different style of candles, accessories, etc. and then maybe demonstrate with making your votives, tarts or whatever you want that will make enough for everyone to have one. Offer the host some kind of rewards or incentives for sales. Offer free tarts or accessories with certain amount of purchase. This is what I do and it has worked really well so far. HTH

I've been doing candle parties for 5 years now and have learned people want to be in and out in the shortest amount of time. I do a VERY short spiel about my candles & B&B, give everyone a free votive and brochure/order form and let them loose to sniff and buy....no games, no demonstrations!! I put a number on the bottom of their free votives and draw numbers for a couple door prizes. I'm usually in and out in 2 to 3 hours and everyone is happy!! :D I bring 2 to 3 each of the products I sell, which they can purchase and take orders for the rest. The only thing I bring a lot of is tarts. This works for me very well as I'm not lugging boxes and boxes of candles around and orders are filled within 2 weeks. One of my shortest parties (1 hour) was my biggest last year, $1350.00......gotta love it!!

As a former seller of PartyLite, I've been tryingto figure our a way to stay away from what I called "The School Room Blues". I felt like a teacher trying to keep my second grade class' attention! So what I want to do now is more like an open house kind of thing. People can come and go between a certain time - I bring cash and carry items as well as a thick order book (one can hope to go home with the book filled completely with orders! :) ). I'd hand out a half sheet of cardstock with my company info, product info, and that kind of thing on one side and a "Wish List" on the other so people can write down the products they like in the scents that they like. That way they can take the list home with them (after placing an order or buying something, of course!). That way if they are short on cash for that week, they can come back and say "OH I loved that Lavender Patchouli soap and the Cowboy Kisses candle - can I have one of each please?" I think the host/ess will like it too because it's a set time limit - say 2-4pm and they know that they can have plenty of time to make dinner for the family or when to have the pizza guy come! :)

So what do ya'all think of that - I'm I nuts or what???

Life & Light!

Tish

I think that it sounds good, but it's all about how you want to get your candles out there. Everyone has different ideas and different strategies, and yours sounds good to me. My ideas are a little different, but that's just the way that I like to market mine. I think you will get it done, and you've got lots of good ideas!!

As a former seller of PartyLite, I've been tryingto figure our a way to stay away from what I called "The School Room Blues". I felt like a teacher trying to keep my second grade class' attention! So what I want to do now is more like an open house kind of thing. People can come and go between a certain time - I bring cash and carry items as well as a thick order book (one can hope to go home with the book filled completely with orders! :) ). I'd hand out a half sheet of cardstock with my company info, product info, and that kind of thing on one side and a "Wish List" on the other so people can write down the products they like in the scents that they like. That way they can take the list home with them (after placing an order or buying something, of course!). That way if they are short on cash for that week, they can come back and say "OH I loved that Lavender Patchouli soap and the Cowboy Kisses candle - can I have one of each please?" I think the host/ess will like it too because it's a set time limit - say 2-4pm and they know that they can have plenty of time to make dinner for the family or when to have the pizza guy come! :)

So what do ya'all think of that - I'm I nuts or what???

Life & Light!

Tish

Great idea...I used to sell PL too and know how that can be. I've done MANY Open Houses that were like what you mentioned above. One of them that I did over the holidays had about 10 of us (some upstairs, some downstairs). I only sold $75 worth that day, BUT, they've been repeat customers. Good luck.

I agree with Chris, people don't like to sit and listen to you talk about your candles and B&B all night. I do make a point of talking about the most important part of my candles, like how to burn them and that they won't soot all over the house and they won't tunnel, etc. They usually just want to smell the products, buy, and be on their way. Just seems like people are so busy these days. For those who like to stick around and visit with other friends at the party that's fine. I bring as much stock as I can, there are a lot of people who just love to go home with their goodies, and I have order forms for those who need them. I give the hostess 10% of sales in products.

I do candle parties matter of fact I am getting ready right this second for one tonight. I do a "drop and shop" and tonight we are doing a "drop and shop Christmas in July". I have a lot of old stock I am taking marked down and then i am taking most of my new stock. People like to shop and drop and they have a cool glass of tea, lemonade or wine to shop around with. I am doing it at my aunt's house and it is from 6-9. All the parties I do I try to have stock for them to be able to cash and carry and they LOVE that! I have many people tell me they buy more when they can go home with their products than to order and wait for it. I do a small presentaion to each groups. They all gather in groups to smell candles so i will mingle in the groups and talk about the candles and bath products and that is it. They ask q's and that seems to be all that it takes. I love candle parties better than Crafts shows because I have made more money and more repeat customers. It is always laid back and usually the time and the shop and drops people like more so they can either stop and go home and do dinner, kids and etc or do that 1st and then come shop. Anyway good luck!

My only problem is I don't work outside the home so getting re-started on the party thing is hard. I don't have many friends close by and the few that I do are "ill" and can't host a party (one is on bed rest because she's having twins - the other has CFS and fibromialgia ?). How would you suggest I start off with getting parties booked? I was thinking of hosting one on a Wednesday night in my front yard. Basically do my craft show booth, have some lemonade, sweet tea and a few snacks, and have a sign that says the first five people to book a party get up to 25% on their sales (rather than the normal 10-15% - after $750 in sales, I bump up the %). I just live in a town where if it doesn't come from Nordstroms or Macy's, it isn't good enough! :( But I'm going to try - just need some ideas "just in case". ;)

TIA!

Life & Light!

Tish

Tish,

We're preparing for our second 'drop-in candle party'. Basically same deal as posted before ... we had the first one at our house - on a Saturday - from 1 - 4. No demonstrations. Just set products up on bookcases, coffee tables, folding tables, etc. Covered all tables w/borrowed Holiday table cloths. Had a few dips, sodas, coffee - nothing major. Everyone could leave w/their products unless we didn't have something they wanted - mostly a certain scent in a different container than what was already available. They ordered what they wanted and paid in advance!

Passed out invitations at work and to family mostly. This time I plan on leaving some at the salons I go to for hair and nails. I also bought the 'scratch off' labels and will be making each invitation a winner - nothing huge. Some w/free votives, free soaps, $5, $10 off after purchasing a certain amount of product, etc. I thought that would encourage people to come by.

Having it at our house was great - except the cleaning up before the party!! :D Going to do one Sept. 9th and if needed - may do another in November. Last years was in November. Problem here is it's hurricane season and that could mess up any good party!!

Good luck to you.

I've set up here or there...whichever works. Usually Open Houses are just during the holidays & I set up my entire house like a shop, with wine, cheese...after a couple glasses of wine, they buy more & MORE

But, when I set up at someone's house. I take everything I would for a craft show. I do not take orders, what you see it what you get. They fill baskets...I'm there for questions, but unless they ask me anything, I don't go overboard with information. There's nothing better than doing one for 2 hours and coming home with $700 and empty boxes.

I'm thinking of having a "Twilight Show" - set up my 10x20 out in my front yard and drape everything that doesn't move fast enough in my holiday lights, bring out a lamp or two so we all have good light to see by after it gets dark dark. But I figured this way it's cooler in the evening and if its Wednesday - Friday people will show up between 4-9pm. I have signage galore from my old garage sale days (I don't do those anymore really - I just give it to charity or something) that are plyboard and painted and look nice (not just tagboard and my scribbling :) ). I'd make up some flyers or something for my husband to take to work and hand out there - give his co-workers a discount at the show.... Gee, the more I talk about it, the more I want to do it... I guess I'll see how this week goes with my son and how I handle the heat finishing up the landscaping projects... ;) Thanks guys for the insperation! :) I read something and my brain starts buzzing! lol

Life & Light!

Tish