Just Ripe Banana - 2nd try at whipped soap

Brenda

You have to follow a bad soaping experience with another try, right? Just like riding a bike. So this morning I used a different recipe and a different FO, colored half of it with a combination of gold mica and yellow oxide, and I decided to texture the top. Scented with SW Just Ripe Banana that smells delicious and is not supposed to discolor.

textured_banana.jpg

I was able to get much more volume using a recipe containing a percentage of Crisco shortening that I subbed for the lard in the original recipe. Here's the link in case you want to give it a go: http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/coldprocesssoapmaking/ss/whippedsoap_2.htm

I did some resizing with the recipe and it filled half of my 32 bar Misty Creek mold to overflowing! The first try made it only just past half this height, so this result is much better. I mixed it up in my KitchenAid and the soap filled that up to the very top of the bowl. :yes: Now I just have to figure out how to cut the stuff properly.

Thanks for looking!

That is beautiful Brenda! I am getting ready to try the whipped soap very soon. I also just got that Just Ripe Banana, so I could try banana soap. Please let us know how it does in the soap, can't wait to see cut pics!

Thanks for the comments ladies! :) The proof will be in the cutting.

I also just got that Just Ripe Banana, so I could try banana soap. Please let us know how it does in the soap, can't wait to see cut pics!

I just got home from visiting my mother and the yummy banana smell met me at the door. So far it smells just great! I'll try to remember to keep you posted on how the scent behaves over the next couple of days. No discoloration noted! :D That makes me happy...

You have to follow a bad soaping experience with another try, right? Just like riding a bike. So this morning I used a different recipe and a different FO, colored half of it with a combination of gold mica and yellow oxide, and I decided to texture the top. Scented with SW Just Ripe Banana that smells delicious and is not supposed to discolor.

textured_banana.jpg

I was able to get much more volume using a recipe containing a percentage of Crisco shortening that I subbed for the lard in the original recipe. Here's the link in case you want to give it a go: http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/coldprocesssoapmaking/ss/whippedsoap_2.htm

I did some resizing with the recipe and it filled half of my 32 bar Misty Creek mold to overflowing! The first try made it only just past half this height, so this result is much better. I mixed it up in my KitchenAid and the soap filled that up to the very top of the bowl. :yes: Now I just have to figure out how to cut the stuff properly.

Thanks for looking!

Cool !

Did you mention what oils you used before in the other so called bad (LOL) batches? Like you have a bad batch....

I've wanted to do this for some time & just haven't gotten around to it...think I'll felt some soap this weekend ...then maybe whipped soap.

I realized I cut it too soon; so I only cut enough to get a pic of it and will do the rest tomorrow. It was a real mess to work with and unfortunately some bad things were said by the soapmaker. :embarasse So now I know this recipe could use a couple of days in the mold. Next lesson I learned was... pour this whipped soap into log molds next time instead of slab molds! Only one edge to cut instead of 3-4 edges.

Tried a guitar string. :cry2: Next I tried dental floss and that worked better for me. :smiley2: Here's a misshapen bar (or I should say chunk!):

whipped_banana.jpg

It does have a great fruit banana smell! I'm happy with the coloring too. Next time, just a tad less air beat into it I think, pour in a log mold, and leave it alone for two full days.

It floats great...