A bit frustrated

I am having a hard time getting a darker color to my candle. I have been noticing how pretty some of your candles are in that super dark color, and know that my SIL would LOVE some in those colors. How are you getting yours so dark? I CANNOT get mine dark, and I feel like I am using a TON of color. I have tried both liquid and the diamond shaped chips.

Let me just say that I have always made candles a very light color. I never made them very dark, because I just liked the lighter shades, so all mine were very light. So, I just figured to make them lighter, you added more dye. Well, I have been adding more, and it isn't getting much better. ROFL. I may try the black, thanks!

I have been using the Peak's Pillar blend, *can't remember the number at the moment, I am stuck at work at the moment* and the mottling wax.

A lot of the dark colors, in the pillars at least, are because people are using 1343 - it's a very transparent wax, which helps get you dark colors without using lots of color. For those opaque waxes, you're fighting against the white that is being "added" to the colors you add.

Where are you getting your dyes from? When I started making candles, I assumed one liquid dye was as good as any other and bought whatever they had at the local craft store. Nothing I tried with that dye would make my candles anything other than pastel. Then I found Lonestar candles and ordered some of their liquid dyes. Made a world of difference in the colors I'm able to get. I use 1343 and just small amounts of dye gives me great colors. I'm assuming Peaks dyes, and any other non-craftstore dyes will give comparable results. Good luck!

In an opaque, creamy wax (such as a soy blend), some colors are just impossible to get. Even if you did manage to get them, you would be using so much dye that it would play havoc with your wicking. For example, red. I've tried every dye form known to mankind and still can't get a real deep red. The black thing works to a certain extent, but it will still look "pinky" unless you add a whole bunch, then it turns to a cranberry sort of color; not a bright, true red.

If you add a little yellow or orange to your red, it will help make it more of a "red" color and will get away from the pink color. Every wax is different, so you have to play around with it to get what works for you. I use 3 parts red to 1 part orange and get a great red.