No Zap. Is the soap ok now

angel2211

I made a batch of soap that was Lye Heavy. When I stuck to my tongue to it, it zapped. Was going to throw it out when people said give it a few days first if that's no good then rebatch it. Well that was last night. I moved it from my bench today and my son dared me to put my tongue to it again. Well not being one to back away from a dare i did it and there was NO zap at all. Tasted pretty yuck but it didn't bite me either.

Even though it was Lye Heavy does this mean it is now ok? If so should i wait longer for it to cure. I've put all my CP into brown paper bags and marked the date they can be used. I've been allowing a 6 week cure period on them.

Any help or advice would be fantastic.

I'm new too, but I'd say if there is no zap it should be ok. I'd leave it out to cure for a while. Good job. :D

Thanks hawaiiansun, I had an inkling it would "probably" be ok but wasn't 100% sure about it. It doesn't look the healthiest but i tried a new recipe. I've been making AJ's basic beginners soap like mad and had that down pact could just about make it with my eyes shut and wanted to try something else. But while making the new recipe i forgot i was trying a new recipe and put in 4.5oz lye instead of the 8.5oz it called for so i added the extra lye to my extra water allowance. So just wanted to make sure it would be ok. Thanks heaps hawaiiansun

I'd let it sit for a bit longer since it will just get better with time. I can usually never wait long before I am taking a small sliver of soap into the shower with me. I've never been patient with anything.

Thanks hun i will definately leave it for longer. 8 weeks curing should be enough i think, but could be wrong. I've been extremely good with being patient i haven't tried one bit of soap in the shower yet. Although i do have some scraps of it in a container by the kitchen sink that i use to wash my hands in...Can't wait to try that in the shower when it cures.

But while making the new recipe i forgot i was trying a new recipe and put in 4.5oz lye instead of the 8.5oz it called for so i added the extra lye to my extra water allowance. So just wanted to make sure it would be ok. Thanks heaps hawaiiansun

Sounds like you saved it! Good for you. Never hurts to try.

e